Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Erik couldn't stop staring at Christine as they walked towards their usual bench. He wanted to remember this astounding, shocking, surprising moment, as it could very well end soon.

Once they were sitting again, he decided to voice his thoughts. "I-I wasn't prepared for this."

A still skeptical Christine glanced at him and asked, "What do you mean?"

He could sense her apprehension, which was completely understandable. The last thing he wanted was for her to feel anything other than happiness, though, so as long as she was willing to listen, he was going to talk. After all, that's what she said she wanted- to get to know him. "My plan had been to tell you the truth and move away from Ballad so that you wouldn't have to see me again."

"Do you really live in the music building at Ballad?" Christine hadn't known that would be her first question, but she supposed they had to start somewhere.

Erik, prepared for anything, nodded. "Yes, I live in the basement. It isn't as bad as one would think either." Considering his words, he shrugged. "Well, perhaps that is only because I am used to it."

"Don't you get lonely?"

"I used to. But, that was before-… Well, that was before you."

She looked down, unsure of how to take that.

"Actually," Erik said quickly, not wanting her to feel uncomfortable. "The music building really isn't a boring place. There is always something going on during the day. Students practicing, classes, music lessons, recitals."

"How long have you lived there?"

Her short, abrupt questions were a bit nerve wracking… "About fifteen years."

"...That's a long time." Thinking of another question, she asked, "How old are you?"

"Twenty-five." Erik couldn't help but hope she wouldn't find their age difference to be too much. How would she feel knowing that a man seven years older than herself was in love with her?

Christine wasn't even focusing on that. "Wait a second. You've lived at Ballad since you were ten years old?" He nodded. "And Madame Giry knew about it the whole time?"

Erik nodded again, confused. Where is she going with this?

"But, you were just a kid. No child needs to live in a music building basement all alone. That must have been so scary for you. Why couldn't she have taken you in?"

Christine was just so caring. She was concerned for his well-being, which was totally undeserved.

Erik became serious then. "I didn't want her to take me in. I didn't want to be seen by anyone. She obliged, and I am grateful to this day." He paused. "You must be wondering why I came here when I was ten. Where were my parents, you may ask. Well, they abandoned me. I was left on the streets to fend for myself. They told me that it was because of my appearance. They wanted nothing to do with a monster. Of course, their decision to leave me was a sort of blessing. Anything would have been better than the abuse I received at home. Although, life on the streets was cruel, too. Remember when Phantom told you that he was visited by an angel?"

Christine nodded.

"Well, Antoinette was that angel. When she found me, I suppose I was.. ready to be found."

This was a lot to take in. Christine had just learned of Erik's true identity, and now this? She knew he was sugar coating what he was saying, too. It was sick. It was wrong. And no wonder.. If all that he was saying was true about his past, then it was no wonder he had been hiding from her for so long. She shook her head in disbelief. "I'm sorry.. I-I didn't know."