Ch. 3 ~ O.W.L.S.

I woke up the next morning to an unfamiliar owl sitting on my bedspread.  I must've startled it by waking up because it shrieked and landed on top of a sleeping Ginny's head.  And because it landed on her, she was woken up.  And on and on until everyone in the dorm was awake.

Out of nowhere, Hermione started giggling her head off.  One of the first years (I think her name was Georgia) quickly followed after until it seemed the whole castle was filled with our laughter.

I was rolling on the floor, clutching my sides before I knew it.

"But why...is that owl... here?" Ginny asked between giggles.  But after a second, she was calm again.  And soon, everyone was staring at me, looking for an answer.

"I have no clue," I told them.  "He's not mine."   Just then, there was a sharp prick on my finger.  I looked down just in time to see the owl's face move away from my hand.  He saw me staring at him, so he dropped a letter.

I opened the letter.  It read:

Hayley,

I found this looking through Sirius's things.  It was adressed to you.  I don't know what it is, but it had to be important because there was a spell hiding it from the naked eye. 

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

R.J.L.

Remus.  Remus!  I haven't heard from him in forever!

"What does it say?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing.  It's nothing.  Junk mail."  I threw it on my dresser.  I clapped my hands together.  "We should get down to the Great Hall."

I grabbed my robes and when I was passing Hermione, I whispered, "Look at it when no one else is around.  Tell Gin."  She nodded and grabbed her stuff, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was headed down to the Great Hall when Hermione, Ginny, Ron, and Harry caught up to me. 

"You got a letter from Remus?"  Harry asked.

I glared at Hermione.  "I told you to tell Ginny, not everyone!"

She smiled sheepishly.  "You didn't specifically say that,"  she said quietly.

I punched her arm playfully.  "Don't worry about it."  I laughed a short laugh.  She returned it.

"So," Harry interrupted, changing the subject, "what's up with the letter from Lupin?" 

"Oh, he um..." I had trouble getting it out for some reason.  "He found something in...Sirius's stuff."  I looked over at him.

He didn't look fazed.  "And?" he asked, yearning for more.

"I was supposedly going to get a gift from Sirius, but then...  But there was nothing along with the letter..."  I was heartbroken by this.  I wasn't as close to Sirius as Harry was, but he was still my godfather, too.