Chapter 5

After were done with our lunch, Four leads us to another training room. On the left wall, there is a chalkboard that has all of our names listed in alphabetical order. "As I said this morning," Four says. "Next You will learn how to fight. The purpose of this is to prepare you to act; to prepare your body to respond to threats and challenges- which you will need, if you intend to survive as a Dauntless. We will go over technique today's, and tomorrow you will start to fight each other, so I recommend that you pay attention. Those who don't learn fast will get hurt."

There is a row of old punching bags, and Four goes to the one in the middle, and starts demonstrating punches and basic kicks. After Four is done demonstrating, we all turn to our own punching bags and start practicing. Four wanders around, examining everyone. He doesn't even look at me; Instead, he stops in front of Tris. I hear him say, "You don't have much muscle..." I laugh. No duh! Suddenly he presses is hand to her stomach, and he whispers something. She stares at him. I have to admit, I'm pretty good at these punches. If already mastered quite a few of them, but Four still hasn't looked at me.

Four finally lets us go to dinner, and I scarf down the hot dogs. When I come out of the Dining Hall, I see Tris walking around in the tattoo parlor, wearing a black dress, makeup, and her hair is down for the first time since she came here. She definitely isn't pretty, but she does look more Dauntless. She is talking to the tattoo lady in a hushed tone, and the woman shakes her head. Tris points to a bird, and the woman nods. Tris is going to get a tatoo!

* * *

"Since there are an odd number of you, one of you wont be fighting today." Four says, looking at Tris. All of our names are up there, next to someone elses names- except Tris. Her name doesnt have anyone elses name next to it. Today it looks like I'll be fighting Drew. That will be easy.

Four calls out, "Al and Will!" It's totally obvious who's gonna win this. Al is almost twice the size of Will, and stringer, too. I have known Al for all my life, but he's never seemed like the person to knock someone unconscious. I do t know why, but I like Al, and I think we can relate. I just need to get him to start staying away from Christina and Tris.

I find Mollys name, and shes fighting Christina. I cant wait. This will be entertaining. Drew, Molly and I turn away from the board and start talking, and as soon as were not looking, I can here Tris say, "The Tank?" and Christina says, "Yeah, Peters slightly more feminine looking minion, and she nods at us.

She starts to point at us, but we act like we dont notice. Christina says, "Peter is pure evil," and I smirk. I'm glad she she thinks of me that way. "When we were kids, he would pick fights with people from other factions and then, when an adult came to break it up,he's cry and make up some story about how the other kid started it. And of course they believed him, because we were Candor, and we couldn't lie. Ha ha."

I remember those days. I would start picking on a Erudite kid, then we would get in a fight, then a leader came, and I started to cry and told them I didn't start it. And those idiots believed me. That's when I knew I was meant to be Dauntless, but that didn't make it any easier at the choosing ceremony.

Christina starts to talk again. I swear, she can't shut her mouth. "Drew is just just his sidekick," Drew clenches his fists next to me. "I doubt he has an independent thought in his brain. And Molly... She's the kind of person who fries ants with a magnifying glass just to see them flail around." Molly whispers to me, "You just wait until I fight her. She is so going down.

I hear Tris say, "I think they know we're talking about them." No duh! Christina can't whisper to save her life! "So? They already k ow I hate them." Tris looks shocked. "They do?! How?" Christina fakes a smile and waves at us, and I give a sarcastic smile back. Tris looks down and blushes. "Because I've told them."