Chapter 8

"Everybody up!" Someone yells. They shine a flashlight over us, and I see Eric, Four, and the Dauntless transfers standing there. "Did you go deaf, Stiff?" Eric is yelling at Tris who is sitting in her bed, looking like a deer in the headlights. "You have 5 minutes to get dressed and meet us by the tracks. We're going on another field trip."

I rush to get dressed, pulling jeans on over my boxers and a blue shirt on. We sprint as a group up the steps of the Pit into the glass dome, and onto the roof. There is a pile of guns, and ammunition next to them. My heart immediately starts to beat faster. Tris laughs. "Everyone grab a gun!" Eric shouts. Then he says something to Four, and when Four replies, he shoves him in the shoulder. I can see the lights of the train coming closer. Tris and Four start to run towards the train together, and Tris grabs Fours arm to help her get inside.

Once all of the Dauntless initiates are inside the car, Four says, "We will be dividing into 2 teams to play capture the flag. Each team will have an even mix of members, Dauntless born initiates, and transfers. One team will get off first and find a place to bids their flag. Then the second team will get off and do the same. This is a Dauntless tradition, so I suggest you take it seriously."

Someone in the back calls out, "What do we get if we win?" 

Four raises an eyebrow and says, "Sounds like the kind of question someone not from Dauntless would ask. You get to win, of course." Eric says, "Four and I will be your team captains. Lets divide up the transfers first, shall we?" 

"You go first." Says Four. 

"Edward." I know I will be picked next, even if Four doesn't like me. 

"I want the Stiff." Everyone in the car laughs, including me. 

"Got something to prove?" Says Eric mockingly. "Or are you just picking the weak ones so that if you lose, you'll have someone to blame it on?" 

"Something like that. Your turn." 

"Peter." I walk towards Eric. 

"Christina." 

"Molly." Me and Molly grin at each other. 

"Will." 

"Al." 

"Drew." Drew frowns. 

"Last one left is Myra, so she's with me. Dauntless born initiates next." I don't think anyone pays attention to these, cause no one knows them. They finally finish choosing teams, and it's obvious our team will win. "Your team can get off second." Eric says. 

"Don't do me any favors," Four says and smiles. "You know I don't need them to win." 

"No, I know that you'll lose no matter where you get off. Take your scrawny team and and get off first then." Fours team stands up, stretching.

I move forward as I see Tris bend her knees to jump, and I shove her. She almost falls out of the car, but doesn't, and I curse under my breath. I'm about to try again, but she has already jumped with most of her crappy team.

Eric turns to us and says, "Obviously, were going to win. But when they try, take as many down as you can." I ask, "With real guns?" Eric stares at me. "You idiot! These are PAINTBALL guns. Yes, we would just hand you loaded guns and tell you to kill each other." I look down, embarrassed. Eric yells, "NOW!" And we jump. We run until we find a place that people can't see very well from the ground because its enclosed by trees- the end of the pier in the park. Eric puts our flag in a high branch of a nearby tree.

He starts to talk about strategy, and then we hear a loud, creaking sound. I look up, and see the Ferris Wheel moving. Those idiots. They just to.d us exactly where they are. Eric smiles triumphantly. "Peter, Edward, Nancy, guard the flag. I want all the Dauntless borns to come with me. The rest of you, head towards the Ferris Wheel."

Edward, the girl named Nancy and I stand on either side of the tree holding the flag. No one makes any sound, then all of a sudden, there is yelling and screaming. Edward yells in anger, and I turn around just in time to see the blue paint splatter on his shirt get hit by another pink one. He drops his gun and walks away. I see Nancy shoot at a dark figure in the woods, and she hits her target. We exchange glances.

While I'm facing the woods that Nancy just shot at, I feel something small hit my back, and a horrible smell fills my nose. I crane my neck to look at my back, and there is a pink splotch on it. When I turn around to face the attacker, I get hit with a blue ball in my chest. The purple haired girl shoots the person and says, "Damn it, Edward!" I mumble, "Im Peter." 

"Whatever! You leave me here alone, and you didn't even try to shoot them down! Damn it!" I turn my back on her to walk away, and I get hit in the back of the head. I turn around, and she has her gun aimed at my head. I glare at her. "Thanks." 

"You are very, very welcome, Peter."

She turns back to the forest, her back against the tree, and I'm really tempted to hit her back, but that would make our team lose. I see 3 figures crouching in the woods, one of them aiming at Nancy. I'm about to warn her, but before I can say anything, a pink splotch appears on her leg. She throws down her gun, gives me the middle finger, and stomps away, the opposite direction of where I'm going. I don't turn back to see the other team take the flag out of the tree branches.