Chapter 11: Returning to the Past

When Atsuko opened her eyes, she looked around and noticed that she was in somewhere in Egypt. As she walked through the crowds, mainly of women and children, she felt an urge to move towards the large building that was just in the distance, most likely a palace. The city was busy, people buying many of the their daily needs and children running from their parents, refusing to go home. Atsuko slowly made her way to the front gates and was immediately stopped by the four guards that were at the gates, one of them a very close resemblance to her older brother, but an older version of him.

"What do you think you're trying to do commoner? No civilians are allowed in the palace walls today, now go back home." One of the guards said to her, his voice sounding as if he was trying to put her down.

Atsuko just stood there shocked for a second before backing away. How rude! she thought as she walked along the palace wall. She got to the edge of it and noticed there was a guard standing off to the side on his own. As curiosity took over, Atsuko got herself in a position where she could see what he was guarding and, to her surprise, she found another door. It wasn't as grand as the front gate, almost looking like an emergency door. Atsuko had this feeling that something was pulling her into the palace, she just had to get in there. Atsuko walked back toward the cities centre, looking for someone that she thought might want to help her with her little predicament. After doing some people watching she found them, two boys around the age of 8 looking very bored and agitated.

"Excuse me?" Atsuko said as she walked up to them. "I was wondering if I can get some assistance with something? Would you boys be interested?"

"What are we going to be doing?" One of the boys said, very eager.

"Have you always wanted to mess around with the palace guards?"

It took Atsuko about 20 minutes to fully explain to the boys what to do and how not to get caught after wards. The last thing she wanted to do was to get them into trouble. The plan was put into play by the two boys playing around the guard for a bit, making their way back toward the square. Then, a few minutes later, they came back, yelling and screaming that something was going on in the square and they were sent to get more soldiers. The soldier immediately bolted out of his position and followed them toward the square, just like she had planned. Hopefully, they would follow her advice and get away from the guard. Atsuko went through the door when she noticed that they were out of sight and she was in awe as she looked at the world of the palace. Just inside the walls was a world of its own compared to the city streets. For some reason, it seemed better lit, more open and welcoming. Atsuko started to walk in a random direction, hoping her feet would bring her somewhere that would satisfy the urge she had to get in here in the first place. Not soon after her entrance, she made her way to the gardens, which was the most beautiful place she had ever seen. It was vibrant with colour, not anywhere close to the plain sands of the city and outside the palace boarders. One flower caught Atsuko's attention, one she had never seen before. It looked like a water lily, almost to a tee, but, it was a pale pink in the middle and faded into a white as it got to the ends of the petals. Atsuko had always admired the blue water lily, so this very similar looking caught her attention quickly.

What she lacked to notice was the someone what come up from behind her, admiring the commoners courage and getting into the palace. The young boy sat quietly, letting the girl admire the time she had before he had to step in. Eventually one of the guards would be coming this way and they would know that this girl didn't belong in the palace. In his opinion, this girl was very different from the other people the broke into the palace walls. Firstly, she was a girl, most of the people that got into the walls were men. Secondly, she hadn't gone anywhere near the actual palace, unlike many who went there first to steal valuables for their own greed. Finally, her hair shined like gold in the rays from the sun, nothing like the black hair of many of the citizens that absorbed the sun light.