Chapter 6

The horses in the trailer whinny as if they know we've made it to Megan's. We slow to a stop and jump out to greet Meg as she runs to the truck.

"How are y'all?!" She screams.

"We're doing pretty great, Meg." Chandler says calmly.

"Oh my God! I'm so excited Gracie! August is already loaded up, let's go!" She spits out.

She jogs to her red F-250 dually and climbs in. Meg is about 5'5 and I have to giggle every time she goes to get in her jacked up truck. We step into our truck again and pull out onto the road.

4 hours later.

We finally made it to the Houston Stock Show & Rodeo and pull up next to one of the barns. I pull out a sheet of paper that was emailed to me telling us where our stalls and tack rooms were. C-25, Doc's Double Delight (Dixie) and C-27, Valiant Capriole (Capriole) and C-29, August Holiday (August).

"Ah, right here. Okay, babe, can you unload Capriole first?" I asked. I usually take charge of the responsibility to make sure it's done right.

"Yeah, sure thing." He said as he smiled. Chandler walked around to the Driver's side back door of my truck and grabbed Capriole's lead rope, and unloaded him patiently. I was right behind him as I unloaded Dixie and we put them both in their designated stalls.

Meg walked up and reminded us that we still needed to pay our fees for each event we signed up for. The three of us checked the locks on the stall doors, and Meg and I locked arms while Chandler grabbed my hand and we walked over to the registrar.

"Delainey Grace Walker for Barrel Racing and Pole Bending, please?" I said as soon as we were at the window.

"Your total is $300.00." The rude looking woman said without even glancing up.

I handed her three hundred in cash and moved my arm under the booth window for my wristband. I moved aside so that Chandler and Meg could pay next.

"Chandler Hayden James for Roping, Bareback, and Bull Riding." He said quickly handing her his card.

"450..." She said as dryly as before.

Meg was next.

"Megan Marie Fuey for Barrel Racing, Pole Bending, and Cutting, please?"

"Same as the boy," she said holding out her hand.

After Meg handed her the full amount, we all turned around to go back to the stables.

*smack*

I fell to the ground waiting for my vision to clear up and I felt Chandler's hand on my arm.

"Excuse me! Watch where you're going, bitch!" Snapped a pretty face with an ugly attitude.

"I-I'm sorry I didn't see you there--" She cut me off.

"Apology NOT accepted." She snarled like a dog whose chew toy was threatened.

I glared at her while rubbing my forehead and walked away.

"Who was that?" Meg asked.

"That was just Cydney..." I paused before saying, "She's a barrel racer I met in Scottington a while back. She's really good." I said quietly.

"So you're just gonna let her win? Grace, you're better than that." Chandler said while looking into my eyes.

"I'm no where near as good as her, Chandler..." I looked at my worn out cowboy boots and shuffled some dirt around.

He lifted my chin so I'd look at him.

"We. We will beat her. She won't get away with that bull shit, babe." He smirked and leaned down to kiss me.

"God, you two are so perfect." Meg squealed.

We walked back to the stables to grab our bags and get some lunch. After all, it had already been a long day for all of us.

Author's Note:

Hey guys. I finished chapter 6. I started from scratch on this on because I only had chapters one through five. I'm super excited for this book.

Expect the Unexpected...

Sierra, xoxo