One

August in the mm.

Dominique

It was Tuesday, March 24th. There was a question still resting in the back of my head: will I ever live to see another day?

"Kade, baby. Please. Just lower the gun, put the gun down." I pled with him, trying to convice him to put the gun down as the tears streamed down my face.

I became short of breath and my heart started to beat fast.

My head spun in aggressive loops, causing the room to twist and spin like a roller coaster before my tear soaked eyes.

No matter how much I wanted to run, I couldn't. I dared not to move. I was completely paralyzed as I stared through the barrel of Kade's 9 millimeter.

I stared at him the same way that I would stare with fright at the angel of death himself. Kade ignored my obvious fear and continued to yell.

"Bitch, imma put a bullet in yo' head, I told yo' ass don't play with me!"

It was true. For weeks, Kade had told me that if he couldn't have me, nobody else could either. For weeks, he's called, texted and left hundreds of voicemails filled with him threatening my life and him loving me so much that he couldn't live without me.

His veins popped from his neck, indicating he was getting impatient and even more angry.

"All I wanted to do was love you." Kade's brown skin was perspiring so much that it glowed in the darkness of the living room.

I was still wrapped up in the blanket that I cuddled up with an hour prior as I prepared to watch the newest season of Orange is the New Black.

I was definitely exhausted. The last couple of weeks spent arguing with Kade had completely worn me out.

After 2 years of Kade's aggressiveness and possessiveness, I was beyond over him.

No kids, 26 years old, a teaching career. I drove a fairly new Camero. Even though I didn't have the most expensive labels in my closet, I dressed decently.

I wasn't the prettiest girl in the world, but I was cute to many, with measurements that any woman would pay money to get injected with.

I kept a nice shape, hitting the gym a couple times a week. And plus, I was mixed, so my hair remained full, long, and rich. I'm not bragging, but these were all the reasons why I did not have to put up with this nigga who was 34 years old, unemployed, and had 5 kids by 4 different women, telling me what to do, where to go, and when to be back.

I spend 2 years literally catering to this man out of fear that he would leave we if I didn't.

I spent 2 years being scared. Scared of being alone and scared of his anger that sent him into tantrum which in the end, resulted with me having a busted lip, sore throat, or a black eye.

A couple days ago, I finally realised that being alone was way better than having Kade's sorry ass company making me miserable everyday.

"I can't believe you left me!" Kade continued to cruelly point the 9 millimeter at my head. He held the gun so tight, the veins were visible in his hand and forearm.

By now, I was used to Kade's violence and abuse. Yet, on this day, I was more scared than I had ever been. His eyes were erratic. They bounced around quickly and uncontrollably, looking diluted and possessed.

"I'm sorry," I said through my cries. "We can talk about it, I promise. Just please put the gun down, Kade."

It was as if he didn't hear me. His mind was somewhere else, I could see it in his eyes. "I was gon' get back right..." He assured me.