Sixteen

August 26th

Teyanna

Keke was out of breath as she entered my bedroom.

"Whoo! Coming up and down them stairs hurt like a motherfucka!" She had a plate of food in her hand that I eagerly took from her.

She had been such a big help since I got put on bed rest. Since I couldn't work, August was taking all of the overtime he could get, so she was the only person close by that could help me when needed.

"I'm sorry , girl," I told her as I started digging into the omelet she made me.

"I won't bother you anymore. August is only working a little over time this morning, so he should be home soon."

"Umph," she replied with a smirk as she sat at the foot of the bed.

"What's that face for?"

"How you know he doin' overtime?"

"Because he said he was," I replied obviously. "Why would he lie?"

She laughed. "Why wouldn't he? Girl, he lie all the time. Don't let that baby make you forget." I rolled my eyes behind her back.

This was typical shit bitches did when a woman was trying to enjoy her happiness. I was sure that she was just trying to be a friend, helping me maintain my composure and not get lost in the clouds.

I knew August wasn't perfect though. Trying to enjoy my happiness didn't have anything to do with me suddenly forgetting all the bullshit he use to be on.

"I haven't forgotten a damn thing. I know good and damn well what my man is capable of."

"Well, long as you know," she replied, casually flipping through a Victoria's Secret magazine.

"But as long as he keep doing what he been doin', which is holding down this family and keeping his bullshit to a minimum, I'm good. I haven't had any issues out of him in a minute, so I'm not about to sit here and dwell on it. I just want to enjoy my pregnancy as much as I can."

She sighed heavily. "You're right," she replied turning towards me.

"You should definitely enjoy your pregnancy." Then she softly rubbed my belly with a smile.

"So, how does it feel being preggers finally?" The biggest smile spread across my face. She rolled her eyes playfully.

"You're such a lame."

"Of course you would think I'm a lame. Getting pregnant isn't hard for you, so it's no big deal. You get pregnant if a nigga sneeze on you."

Laughing, she nodded.

"This is true. Very true."

"Girl, I never thought I could have a baby. You know how it feels to love a man with all of your heart, but you can't give him what every other bitch in the world can? I felt like less of a woman."

I stopped myself to keep from crying. Just talking about it still hurt.

"Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore!" Keke was trying to lighten the mood, and I appreciated it. By the grace of God I didn't have to relive those ill feelings anymore.

***

August

A week after Deuce was arrested, he had a bail hearing. I didn't go of course. Since he was on that bullshit, I really didn't give a fuck about being there.

The only thing I cared about was whether this nigga really thought I was a trick. Since even Black and Sneak had begun to distance themselves from me, I figured he did.