Eighteen

August 30th

August

Teyanna died the next morning from a gunshot wound to the head and chest.

After surgery, she fought all night to stay alive. I held her hand and talked to her, hoping that she could hear me. At two o'clock n the morning, she was gone.

"Son, do you have any idea who would do something like this?"

I was still at the hospital. I couldn't even bring myself to leave. I felt like if I left that hospital, it would make it so real that my baby was gone. It felt like I was in a real fucked up dream and at any moment I would wake up staring at my baby's sleeping face again.

I wanted to hold onto that hope as much as I could. But as I looked at the sorrow and tears in my mother's eyes as she sat beside me in the family room of the critical care unit, holding my hand and rubbing my back, I knew this shit was real.

"If you know anything, I need you to tell me, son."

I couldn't tell this cop that Deuce had done this. I couldn't tell him because, though I knew it, I couldn't wrap my head around this nigga taking it so far that he would kill Teyanna in cold blood.

He'd had somebody execute my baby all because he was spooked that I would trick and fuck up his case.

My mind was spinning. The room was spinning. Voices sounded like scrambled words in the distance.

I just leaned over into my mother's lap. I cried, screamed, and asked God why.

I had never heard myself make such grueling noises in my life. This pain was so bad that I thought if I screamed loud enough, it would go away. But it didn't. I thought if I asked God enough times, Teyanna would just wake up.

But she didn't. I heard my mother telling the officer to give me some time. But no time would be long enough to heal from this.

***

Kayjah

"Kayjah, I can not believe you sold this beautiful house." Looking around the living room, I couldn't believe it. African-American art that my mother purchased years and years ago still hung on the wall. I even kept her favorite umbrella in the corner, where she left it.

There was a time that I thought that I would never part with this house. But as I signed the contract and handed it back to Angie, it was official. My mother's house was no longer mine.

It now belonged to a married couple with a set of twin girls.

"I can't believe it either. But I didn't need all of this space. Plus, this house reminds me of my mother. It's too painful. And the mortgage was kicking my ass."

"Well, at the price you got for the house, you have a pretty nice cushion to rest on."

That indeed. I sold the house at twenty thousand dollars more than it was appraised for. After paying off the mortgage, I was walking away with seventy-five thousand dollars.

"Where are you going to live now?"

"I'll be closing on a condo downtown in a few days." Sara smiled and nodded in approval. Most white folks approved of living as far north in the city as possible. A few minutes later , Angie and I said goodbye. After letting her out, I walked through the door touching everything that I could get my hands on.

I immersed myself in the feel of everything so that I would never forget the comfort and joy that this house had given me.