Fifteen

August 16th

Kayjah

"Dominique Crader was born March 26, 1986 in New Orleans, Louisiana. She was a beautiful, intelligent, young woman who loved science. She graduated from Riverdale High School.

After high school, she received formal education at Southern University of New Orleans. After receiving her Master's as a double major in Education and Science, she taught Chemistry at McDonough 35 High School..."

Sobs and sniffles seemingly played as a soundtrack to the reading of Dominique's obituary. I stood at the podium, dressed in black and wearing shades, as I read the obituary, per Mrs. Crader's request.

Her cries were the worst I had ever heard in my life. They ripped through the church like a painful symphony.

Her wails were wracked with so much agony and suffering. The sound of a mother's cries that had lost her child was like nothing I ever heard before.

"... Dominique's energy was just as magnetic as her beauty. She touched the lives of many with her smile and generosity. She touched the lives of countless students that she taught for the last three years, as well as children that she tutored in Science citywide..."

Some of those students were in attendance. They sat in the back of the large church taking up several pews.

They wore their school t-shirts in tribute, even some with her name or picture spray painted on the back.

Tahj sat in the front row. When Mr. Crader should have been the one getting consoled, he was next to Tahj literally keeping him from totally falling apart.

Tahj seemed to be shivering with sadness and was overwhelmed with heartbreak.

Even in death, I envied her. I read her obituary and envied how wonderfully she was being perceived. I saw the abundance of love there for her that day and envied how she was undeniably loved.

But as I read and laid eyes on August, I felt comfort in knowing that if no one in the world loved me, he was going to.

"... She was granted her angel wings on Wednesday, August 9, 2015. She is survived by her parents, Ernestine and Brian Crader, her sisters, Derricka and Delise, and her best friend, Tahj Burkes, as well as numerous amounts of relatives, friends, coworkers, and students."

***

August

"You okay?" Kayjah and I were standing a few feet away from Dominique's gravesite . I was holding her around her waist as she stood, along with a few of Dominique's family members and close friends, as we watched grave workers lower her casket into the ground.

"Of course not." her voice was at a trembling whisper, so I kissed her cheek.

She sighed heavily as she rested her head back on my chest. I honestly wanted to hold her until she wasn't hurt anymore.

If I could have kissed her pain away, I would have. Ever since sje got killed, I had been with Kayjah as much as I could.

I felt like a jerk when she told me that she knew about Teyanna. Being with her for the past week was my way of making up for lying to her.

Since I was no longer working for Deuce, it was easy for me to juggle my free time outside of work between her and Teyanna.

She thought that I was still on the streets with Deuce. I let her think that so that I could manage to be there for Kay through such a fucked up time as this.