Lydia

Lydia:

"Time to show our true colors," Frederich said with a sly grin, "And by colors- I mean black."

Lydia grinned as well. Currently, her and her boyfriend- Frederich Isak Showenhower (mostly known as Freakshow in the circus) were at the mall that was close to the train tracks were the circus was at. They had a bit more freedom than the other 'freakshows' as Frederich's family owned the circus. As his girlfriend, Lydia was granted privileges as well.

Frederich looked over at Lydia as the two practically ran inside the store. He was used to Lydia not speaking- though occasionally she did say a few words, but it was wispy and soft. He knew that she was well capable of being loud- screaming in frustration when she thought no one could hear her. Yet, it was one of the things he loved about her- she let him do the smooth talking that got them out of trouble. Plus, they could play the 'mute' card to get them out of jams. Though of course he never said the words 'I love you' out loud, even if the two have been dating for four years.

Lydia's tanned skin that was covered in tattoos, her dark eyes, and her black Mohawk got them a few looks on the street (as well as Frederich with his Goth clothing, bald head, and red-ish eyes). Frederich glared at them and he glared harder at the men that stared at her clothing- her revealing clothing. She wore what she normally did- a white corset, black skinny jeans, and black boots. The clothing left all of her many tattoos visible.

Yet, he felt that he was the only one that should be able to see that much skin of hers and that he should be the only one to ogle over her.

Frederich, AKA Freakshow, grinned madly at the crowd before him. They looked at him with grins and in awe. He wore his usual outfit while Lydia wore hers. Instead of black skinny jeans, she wore the black underwear-like bottoms, the white corset that laced up the front, black boots, and a red cloak around her shoulders.

"~Welcome freaks of all places," he greeted, "Might I present to you, Circus Gothica!"

Beside him, Lydia grinned just as madly. The two were the greeters- their job was to greet people who came to the circus. It suited them since they were the only ones that looked like humans- the rest of the freaks looked like they were dead.

While Frederich dreamed of being the ringmaster, the position currently belonged to his father. His father was a mad man- a freak just like Frederich. In many ways, Frederich never his father- yet he respected the man. He had to respect his father- it was dangerous not to with his father's record.

"Answer me, honestly, Lydia," Frederich said, "Do you really enjoy it here at the circus?"

The two were currently in loving position- both situated under the tree. Looking up at the night sky, Lydia's head rested on his shoulder as he wrapped an arm around her. She looked at him curiously before answering him,

"Yes," she said softly- her voice being so quiet he strained to hear it, "I do like it here... I'm with you..."

He kissed the top of her head,

"Thank you, Lydia... There is something that I wish to share with you..."

She titled her head as he continued,

"There is a secret, a family secret, mind you. It's about the circus and its... freak show. You recall Father's staff?"

At her nod, he sighed,

"The staff is more than a simple decoration, dear Lydia. The freaks look dead because they are... My family is specialized in ghostly artifacts and the staff is one of them... With it, we can control ghosts... Do you understand Lydia? The others in the circus, they're ghosts. My father holds them there. Now I ask again, do you like it here at the circus? With me?"

Lydia's mouth made an 'o' shape before she grinned madly with a nod. He smiled with her,

"Wonderful... So when father's time is passed, you will be happy to rule Circus Gothica along my side?"

She continued to grin,

"Of course..."

"Wonderful, Lydia. Simply wonderful...."

With that, the two mad lovers sat there, grinning crazily to themselves as they looked at the stars. Thoughts of the dead roamed Lydia's thoughts- all the possibilities and the wonder that were now opened to her. While Frederich's thoughts were on the wonderful woman beside him as he fingered with the small black box in his pocket. He opened his mouth to say something.

"Lydia I-"

"Frederich!"

He scowled deeply and Lydia looked at him confused. A frantic fellow circus member ran up to them,

"Your father requested you."

Frederich gave Lydia a small smile,

"Another time, perhaps, my dear."

With a quick kiss, he soon disappeared into the dark with the other circus member, leaving Lydia alone and a bit confused.

"LYDIA," Frederich hollered in fear as he ran.

He ran like his life depended on it. While his life didn't, Lydia's might. Her body lay mangled and distorted in odd angles on the ground. I knew it was a bad idea, Frederich thought. It was his idea for Lydia to try the high-wire act- it was her dream to be a part of it. Yet, she never could build enough courage to try it. He pushed her into, convinced her that she could do it. His father disapproved so the two had to sneak into the high-wire tent after the circus was closed and after most of the members were asleep.

They weren't stupid- there was a safety net... Yet apparently they didn't set it up right, the ties came undone. She fell straight through and hit the ground in a horrifying thud. Frederich was by her side in a minute. He cradled the bloody, broken body of his love in his arms. He cried out in anguish as tears were in his eyes,

"Lydia... my love... I love you..."

He finally said the words- the words that he's been meaning to say for the longest time. It was the words that he meant to say to her the previous night, when they were stargazing. It was the words that he meant to say, as he would've pulled out the ring. She was supposed to say that she loved him too, and she was supposed to say yes. She was supposed to kiss him. Yet, she didn't move. She didn't breathe. She didn't make a single sound. He held her body close in a desperate, childish attempt that if he could just hold her close enough, get her warm enough, love her enough, need her enough that she might take a breath of air- that she might live...