Chapter II

8 years ago...

Ever since that cool spring afternoon Chloe and I were inseparable. Throughout the years our friendship grew stronger and stronger. We spent every waking moment with each other, we were practically sisters.

Even from a young age Chloe and I showed serious potential when it came to soccer. Over the years we absolutely fell in love with the game.

Chloe was a year older than me, and when she was old enough to start playing competitive I was a bit upset because our coach was going to make me play with the academy team for another year since I was younger.

But Chloe insisted on staying on the same team, she said that if I wasn't allowed on the same competitive team as her, then she would quit all together.

So that summer we started playing on the same competitive team, I just had to played up a year. We played so well together that our team went undefeated.

When I was 11 and Chloe was 12 we were contacted by a recruiter to play for an elite team down in Texas.

It was right at the end of the school year, so we wouldn't have to worry about class or homework. Our parents thought it over and decided we could try it out for the summer.

Our moms worked together and their company had an office down in Austin that wasn't far from the soccer complex we would be playing at.

So the plan was to rent a house there over the summer and we could all stay together. Our moms would take turns dropping us off and picking us up from either practice or conditioning camp. Our parents said if it worked out we could talk about moving there permanently, since Jesse would be going off to college in the fall and Chloe didn't have any siblings there was nothing holding us back in California.

It was June 1st, the day we were supposed to report for training camp. As we were walking up to the field I felt my palms get really sweaty and biting my lip, it's and awful habit I revert to whenever I get nervous.

Chloe, being my best friend, noticed my nervousness and pulled me to a halt. I stood there with my gaze focused on the ground.

After a couple minutes I felt her fingers lift my chin so my eyes met hers. Finally, I heard her say, "Whatcha thinking, Y/NN?" (Your nickname).

I sighed knowing I wasn't going to be able to avoid her. "I don't think I can do this Chlo.. What if I'm not good enough? I don't want to embarrass myself..." I said then averted my eyes to look somewhere else.

"Hey, Y/N. Look at me." I didn't budge. "Y/NN..." It took everything in me not to face her, then all of a sudden she cupped my cheeks and forced me to look at her.

"Y/NN, you trust me don't you?" She asked. I looked at her with confusion, not knowing. Where she was going with this. "Of course, with my life." I answered.

"Okay, well then trust me when I say you'll be fine. Y/N, I've played with you ever since I started soccer and I can honestly say that there is no one else I would rather share the field with. You are so strong, physically and mentally. I've seen you grow so much as a player over the years and I know you can do this. You're a natural, you were born to do this. So take a deep breath and calm down." She encouraged me.

"Chlo, seriously thank you so much. You're the most amazing best friend." I told her with so much sincerity while I embraced her in a hug.

"Hey, that's what in here for!.. And if you get nervous out there just look for me, okay? We'll kill this together!" She smirked. I just smiled and nodded.

We turned and headed towards the field once again. On our way there she snaked her arm between me and my soccer bag and rubbed my back, she knows how it calms me down. "I love you, Chlo." "I love you too, Y/N."