CHAPTER FOURTEEN

We charged round the corner, yelling at the top of our lungs and sprinting at the griever. I raced ahead of Thomas and Minho until I was at the front of the group. Determination and adrenelin lead me to my attacker and my heart pumped with blood. I raised my spear, when I was about three metres away from the griever, and jabbed it in the air. It roared, displaying multiple layers of sharp prickly teeth. Then it took a step towards me and I stepped back slightly, but still on the defence.
"Teresa, Chuck, go, now!" I heard Minho yell from behind me and he appeared by my side as well as Frypan, Winston and Newt. But Thomas sprinted through us and plunged his spear forward. The griever dodged his blow and swiped one of its legs at Thomas, causing him to topple over. I rushed forward this time and threw myself at the griever, digging the spear into the griever, but it hit me at the waist and I felt something sharp go into my hip. Twisting away with pain, I fell to my right, sliding away on the floor. Newt and Winston started jabbing at the griever while I looked at my wound. I was lightly grazed by the sharp claws, but I wasn't hurt so bad. The cut was bleeding though, and I scooted further away from griever to get some time. I ripped a piece of fabric off my top and gathered it into a rope, wrapping it around my waist so it put pressure on my hip. Then I used my spear to stand up, but it sent jots of spikes through my body and I collapsed to the ground again.
Suddenly, something slid past me- the seringe Chuck and Teresa were using to open the door to the griever den. I crawled on my hands and knees and caught it before it fell off the side of the bridge. Then I realized I was hanging off the side.
I screamed and yelled for help because my hip was too sore to pull myself up. I felt strong hands gripping my shoulders and was pulled up by Teresa and Chuck. They pulled slowly, but suddenly, something slipped and my spear fell into the black abyss.
"Pull me up!" I screeched, trying to grab hold of something to hold onto. Teresa and Chuck pulled with all their might, and managed to drag me back onto the surface.
"I need help," I shouted as Teresa and Chuck got up, so they pulled me up by my shoulders. Once I was steady, I half ran, half limped towards the griever. For now, I had no weapon. But when me and Newt were training, I never had weapons. Minho was swiping at the griever when I rushed over, but it instantly swivelled round when I came.
"Run, Riley!" Newt yelled, but I ignored him.
I prentended that my hip wasn't sore and concentrated on the fight. I kicked my right leg up high and hit the griever's neck, sending slobbery goo flying everywhere. Then I dodged one of its hits, and kicked another blow to the leg. I was kicking so hard, I heard a snap, and the griever toppled over. Smiling in victory, I saw Newt stab a machete into the griever.
Thinking about our next move, we ran over to Teresa and Chuck. Then the door opened. Three walls went up, one behind another. We ran forwards, but I heard a scuttle from behind us, and I swiftly turned on my feet to find three other grievers poised to attack.
"Run!" I warned the other gladers as I lifted my feet off the ground and over next to Newt. Teresa yelled something at Minho and he started shouting back some kind of sequence. One griever launched forwards onto Minho and we all took a step back. This was it. Minho was dead.
Then, suddenly, Jeff rushed forwards out of nowhere. And, with courage, yanked Minho out from under the griever and plunged his spear into the griever's neck. Before my very eyes, he was then dragged away over it. Jeff was dead. Another glader was killed, then another, but none that I knew.
"Hurry the bloody hell up!" Newt boomed to Teresa and suddenly, she pressed something on a screen and the walls started coming down. One griever was squashed, then another; Thomas threw a spear into the last griever's mouth, then it was squashed.

The vault-like door closed in front of us, and we were out of the maze.