CHAPTER NINE

There were some shouts, but they came mainly from the younger boys who were in the glade a few months before me. Obviously, nothing like this had ever happened. As we stood by the gap between the two, massive walls, I took this chance to look into the maze. All I could see was some vines on walls and two corridor-like bits leading one left, one right. It was definately a maze.
Teresa stood by me, as well as Thomas, Chuck, and the cook, called Frypan. They all had terrified expressions on their faces, as did I. However, I didn't feel as much terror as my face expressed. I felt adrenelin. Like I had been waiting for this- an itch that couldn't be scratched.
"What are we supposed to do?" Chuck asked, trying to talk over the yells of gladers.
"Whatever Alby says," Frypan's booming voice echoed around the four glade walls, louder than all the other sounds.
"But where is Alby?" I chipped in.
"Here." Alby appeared behind us, and strangely, my heart sank. I guess I was expecting Newt. "Thomas, this is a code red situation. Take the gladers from your sleeping section and find a safe area to hide. Teresa and Chuck, you go as well. Frypan, you're going with your section, and Riley, you're going to find Newt and your section. Go!" Alby ordered quickly as he stopped walking towards us, and stadted running for the woods with Thomas and four other gladers. Everyone else ran around frantically, trying to find their groups while I was left standing awkwardly.
Where is Newt? I wondered to myself. Deciding that thinking wasn't going to do anything, I headed towards the map room in hope of finding Newt.

I checked the map room, our sleeping area, even the treehouse, but I couldn't find him. I couldn't find Newt. So I continued searching, around everyone else's sleeping areas, the kitchen, the slaughter house. It wasn't until I looked across the glade until I realized I was the only person left in sight. Where had everyone gone?
I circled the forest and squinted, finally spotting some fire torches in the distance in the woods. I dodged trees as my feet picked up off the ground as I went faster and faster, running towards the light. Coming to a halt, I spotted Newt crouching by a tree and calming some gladers. My heart fluttered and a wave of relief filled me. When Newt spotted me, he stood up and ran over to me, lifting me off my feet in a tight embrace. I snuggled myself in his chest, then took a deep breath as we pulled apart, getting a hush from Minho, who was sitting on a pile of leaves. We leaned down against a tree and Newt held my hand while we sat.
"Were you okay?" Newt whispered, his breath muffled in my hair. "Minho wouldn't let me find you. I was just about to punch him."
"You didn't have to do that!" I defended Minho and turned my head so I faced him. "Even if I stayed out there the whole night, don't risk getting found by whatever's out there, just to save me." I frowned and smiled a tight smile, cupping his face. "I would never, let you." The kiss was sweet and gentle, but it lit my world up so bright, my heart felt like it was going to explode the sun. I opened my eyes and saw Newt staring back at me. He looked in awe.
"Shh, stop making out, lovebirds." Minho hissed. "Your slops are making too much sound."
"What is it we're hiding from exactly?" I asked Minho, sitting so my back was against the tree, but still holding Newt's hand.
"Grievers."
"What? I thought they're in the maze." I said, wondering if I'd missed something.
"Well, the shucking walls aren't closing, so those shanks can come on in our glade as they please." Minho ran his hands through gis perfect quiff and turned his back to me and faced the other gladers, hushing them.
"So t-the grievers-s are c-coming here?" I stuttered, looking wide-eyed at Newt.
"'Fraid so."
"I c-can't... I'm sc-cared..." my breathing increased dramatically and I found myself panicking, hugging my head into my chest. I felt an arm slide around my shoulders and once I knew it was Newt, I calmed slightly.
"They won't get us here," he assured me.
"Where are all the other gladers? Thomas, Teresa, Chuck?"
"Hiding some place else." Newt's arm retreated and his eyes wandered around the area, the trees. "Some place that I have no idea."

The glade was quiet for a while, nobody made any sound, not even Minho. All I could see was blackness and the torch light shining on the other's faces. Suddenly, after ten minutes of silence, a scraping rustle sounded from the maze. I gasped as a shadow made it's way across the glade. I watched as it scurried towards the crop area where some gladers were hiding.
The next three seconds changed the atmosphere completely.
A girl screamed- Teresa- and I stood up. Havoc let loose as the shadow suddenly screeched and ran faster towards the crops. Minho and Newt stood up, but I was already running towards the crop area to save Teresa.
"No, Riley!" Newt called behind me, but I didn't listen, instead I ran past trees, the wind whipping my hair around my face. Once I reached the outer area of the forest, I continued sprinting towards the crop area, where gladers were running around with fire torches in their hands. The light wasn't shined on the griever, so it was still a shadow to me. I lunged into the long grass and ran towards it, towards a group including Thomas and Teresa. Then I saw Zart, another glader, being flung into the air by god-knows what. I never stopped running, and once the distance between me and the griever was small, I stopped in my tracks and crouched, approaching it with caution.
"Riley!" Newt hissed from behind me and grabbed my arm. I shook it off and continued sneaking.
I saw the light of a torch to my right. Climbing over a large rock, I preched on my stomach and looked around. Teresa and Thomas stood by a tree in the distance, along with some other gladers, terrified expressions on their faces. I dragged my eyes to my left a bit, and saw what they were looking at.
Then I gasped.