Chapter 5

-Pete-

I jumped awake drenched in my own sweat, tears running down my face, and a tight chest, unable to breathe regularly. The sound of Bronx's steady breathing calmed me and let me get myself together. Even in this cold, I felt hot. I looked over to the bed Patrick was sleeping on and he was softly snoring. I need something to drink. I unwrapped myself from the blankets and went to the kitchen, getting a bottle of water and practically absorbing it.

"You okay?" A voice broke the silence, scaring the fuck out of me and making me choke on my water. "Woah! I didn't mean to scare you." Patrick said laughing.

"Y-you didn't scare me. Just caught me off guard." I lied.

"Sure."

Silence.

"So how are we going to do it?" I asked.

"Do what?" He looked confused.

"Leave. Walking is impractical but is there another way?"

"I.... I never got that far." He admitted looking at the floor. "I just know we need to leave."

"We also need more food than this if we want to leave on a long trip." I pointed out.

"Fuck me..." Patrick mumbled.

"You only need to ask." I whispered.

"What?"

"What?" I asked acting confused.

"Did you say something?"

"No?" I totally did.

"Oh. Well how do you suppose we get food and stuff?" He asked.

"I have no idea. You can.figure that out tomorrow while Bronx and I go back to my apartment and get a few things. I can't leave everything behind."

"Right.. I'll try my best." He said. I started to walk back to the pile of blankets and pillows when Patrick said something. "Pete?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for coming with me..." Patrick said awkwardly.

"You're welcome. I had to leave eventually." I said before heading back to sleep.

I awoke to the soft strum of a guitar coming from the kitchen and Bronx's soft snoring. I stood up, trying my best not to disturb the little ball that is Bronx and walked into the kitchen to see Patrick playing the guitar softly.

"You're really good." I told him.

"I guess. I don't really have anything else to do but sit here and practice."

"Well its paid off. You really are amazing." I told him. His face turned the lightest shade of pink. I almost didn't catch it.

"Thanks... Do you play anything?"

"I play the bass. Or use to. The other morning was the first time in a while that I picked it up and played. I miss it." I explained.

"That's cool. Maybe you should start playing again. We can play some kick ass road trip songs." He said smiling.

"Yeah. Maybe. That would be nice." I smiled back.

"Anyways... I think I should get started on looking for that food and possibly water and even a form of transportation." He said, hopping off the counter.

"Bronx and I will help once we get back. There has to be something in this city left for us to use."

"I hope so. I'll see you later." He said walking out the kitchen. I heard the front door open and close and I was alone again in this cold early morning. Ugh. I miss coffee.

"Come on Bronx. Its time to wake up." I said shaking his shoulder.

"Shhhhh." I heard as he rolled over and covered up some more.

"Bronx. We have to go get our things. We are leaving."

He shot right up.

"Where are we going?!" He asked, blonde curls a mess with wide sleepy eyes.

"I don't know yet. But we are getting out of Chicago. There's nothing left here." I explained.

"But home is here."

"Bronx please. I know its hard, but we have to go before its too late."

"Too late for what?"

"Before... Before we die..."

"Okay let's go!" He said nervously.

Song worry we'all be fine."

Back home, I packed a small back pack of pictures, that I had Bronx carry while I carried my bass in its case all the way back to Patrick's.

We set everything on the floor next to Patrick's bed, and left to look for food and water.

"So you don't know where we are going?" Bronx asked.

"I do, but I don't."

"That doesn't make sense..." Bronx said confused.

"Patrick and I haven't decided yet."

"Is Patrick your new best friend?" Bronx asked.

"I think so buddy. He's the only friend I have, so yeah, he's my best friend." I told him.

"So does this mean I have two dads?" He asked causing me to stop walking in my tracks.

"Uhm. No... I don't love Patrick.. Maybe one day, but I'm still very in love with your mom Little Man."

"So you might love him one day? Two boys can love each other? Is it even okay for that to happen?"

He's too young to be thinking this much.

"Maybe one day. I don't know. And yes, it can happen. Love is everywhere. Boys can love boys. Girls can love girls. Or they can love each other, and no matter what its perfectly okay because love is beautiful."

"Well I think you and Patrick are in love right now." Bronx said smiling.

"I don't think so. Wait here." I told him as I spotted a house that looked untouched. I walked to the door and pushed it open and the fresh smell of death came from the opening. There was a dead woman on the floor. I can only assume she died of hunger, froze to death, or had an asthma attack from the ash in the air. I crept into the kitchen and saw the pile of cans and water on the counter.

"Yes!" I gathered the food and went back to Patrick's house, feeling a little better about this trip.

------------------------------------------------------
School is shit. My life is shit. I'm already too done with senior year. This filler chapter is only trash so its getting better I guess.
-Matthew