Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Kagome groaned as she opened her eyes and glanced at the clock. 11:56am, Shit, she thought. Sesshomaru was going to be angry. She got up, fixed her messy hair and trudged toward his room. The door was closed, and it was oddly quiet. She knocked but there was no answer. She knocked again and waited and when there was no response, she opened the door. He was not in there and his bed was neatly made. She staggered over to the bathroom and poked her head in, but the lights were off and there was no Sesshomaru.

Did he go to work without her? Why would he do that, was their argument so bad that he had fired her? She scoffed as she searched for her cellphone. Fishing it out of her purse, she dialed his number and let it ring as she walked to the kitchen to make an espresso. It rang for a while and she was about to give up before he finally answered.

"It's an awful habit to wake up near noon...says a lot about a person's character." He commented, but somehow, she knew he was grinning.

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"I'm not your alarm clock."

"Did you fire me because we argued last night? Because if so, that's so childish and says a lot about a person's character! You know, I do a good job! I put up with your crap and moodiness and -"

"Kagome..."

"Let's see who you're going to find to put up with that."

"Are you done?" he asked calmly.

"Not even close..." Kagome fumed. "Let's talk about character, shall we? You constantly get on my case about how messy I am or how unorganized my priorities are, but don't you dare judge me based on the fact I want revenge on my ex. Just because you don't have a soul and care nothing about anyone doesn't mean you're better than me. Oh, and you're so anal about everything, I mean, really, who keeps their toothbrush in a case? Honestly, who?"

There was silence on the other end and Kagome assumed he hung up.

"Kagome, I'm driving." Sesshomaru exhaled. " I didn't wake you because we're not working today. I have personal errands to take care of."

Kagome stood silent on the phone, wincing at her irrational outburst. She thought quickly how she could recant but of course, he had some sarcastic response churning in his mouth.

"You should probably get out of the house. Perhaps, get those priorities in order. It isn't attractive to lounge in your nightwear at such hour." He said, before hanging up on her.

Kagome stared at her phone as the low battery message flashed on the screen. She rolled her eyes and went to charge it. She really had to stop jumping to conclusions. She took a deep breath, relieved she still had a job yet annoyed by the rude demon she had to put up with. Fixing herself a cup of coffee, she rummaged the fridge and found nothing to eat. Perhaps she could go grocery shopping now that Sesshomaru paid her. Taking sips of her coffee and blinking away the tiredness, she went back to her room to open the check he'd given her. Tearing it out of the envelope, she glanced at the amount then looked up for a moment wondering if something was wrong with her eyes. She looked at the amount again and nearly choked on her own spit.

"$1800?" she whispered under her breath. Was this her weekly salary? She reviewed her paystub and was stunned to see her salary wage. She was a couple thousand shy of a six-figure salary. Gaining that much after high school was unheard of. I'm rich! Why the hell did the other secretary quit? Kagome folded the check, placed it in her pajama pocket as she walked back to the kitchen dancing when there was a knock at the door. She craned her head out of the hallway, staring at the door to see if she heard right and walked toward to open the door when another knock rattled against it.