Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Sesshomaru decided to work from home today but that didn't mean his day was easy. Eleven hours of conference calls, and two virtual meetings with overseas clients, he had not realized he gone the entire day without eating. Trudging toward the refrigerator as he opened up another email on his phone, he frowned at the emptiness before him, his only options were a can of expired caviar, case of sparkling water and a bottle of wine. Should he get groceries delivered? Perhaps he should order out? He smirked remembering Kagome's words. ' In this planet, people do their own groceries'. He scoffed as he donned his black wool trench coat and made his way to the supermarket. Though there were several supermarkets in his neighborhood, he found himself going downtown to the one near Kagome's.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Kagome snapped out of it for the second time when she absentmindedly rolled the cart over someone's foot in the vegetable aisle. An array of thoughts pulling at her attention making what should have taken ten minutes at the supermarket become an hour and counting. She gazed down at the list of things and realized she only grabbed two things out of the twenty and decided to get her mind focused so she could get out of there.

"Watch where you're going!" a lady scolded as she snatched her kid out of the way when Kagome fell into another daze.

Get a grip, Kagome but she couldn't. She was too afflicted by her situation. Sleep never came to her last night as she caressed her stomach, subconsciously entertaining the idea of being a single mother to a half breed child. Or wondering what Sesshomaru's reaction would be if he found out. There was a fear that he would be repulsed and want nothing to do with her. He still hadn't called her or pick up the rest of his things at the apartment. A part of her knew that he wouldn't. Sesshomaru would just buy new furniture. She dawdled onto another aisle, tipping boxes of cereal into her cart from the shelf as she let out a deep sigh. She continued getting the items on her list and stopped in the aisle of air fresheners and scented candles. Maybe a little lavender patchouli would ease the stresses of her mind. She spritzed carelessly in the air and grimaced not liking the scent at all. She reached for the apple cinnamon and sprayed around her. That one wasn't too bad. She placed it into the cart and sprayed Hawaiian breeze followed by Peach blossom and had to stop when she started coughing. Her breath hitched as she continued to cough when she noticed Sesshomaru turn down her aisle. He had a basket in his hand and appeared stunned to see her. At first, his face became tight, looking over his shoulder as if he were debating whether to make a run for it but then forced a half grin and walked toward her. Still coughing, Kagome tugged the lapel of her jacket over her mouth and tried to clear her throat.

"Hi..." he said in a voice that made her want to collapse onto the floor and start crying. Damn hormones.

"Hey..." she uttered hoarsely, still clearing her throat. She did a mental recap on how she left the house today, wondering if she remembered to brush the knot out of her hair and if she washed her makeup from the night before. "How...are you?"

"Fine..." his nose twitched as he took a step back from the molecules of air freshener circling around them. "You?"

"I'm... good." She said and they became quiet for what seemed like twenty minutes. "So, you're shopping for your own groceries I see."

He nodded then casted a crooked grin. "Yes."

They were quiet again and she was trying to muster up another generic question when he surprised her with a question of his own.

"How do you like working for Youkai Entertainment?" he asked and when she looked confused, he smiled. "Lorena called me for a reference."

"Oh." Kagome swallowed her nerves and looked down at her cart. "Well, I got the job so thanks for the reference."