Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Sesshomaru was gone. It was 7am and she expected him to be in the kitchen already dressed in his suit drinking espresso but the shattering reality of his absence told her that he wasn't in the apartment and that he would never return. Her throat felt like tiny shards were cutting into it as she fell into a quiet sob. She sat at the edge of his bed, pulling one of his pillows to her chest as she peered into the emptiness of his closet. She had cried so much, her nose became stuffy and she felt a terrible headache coming on. Why did she tell him to leave? She shook as she wailed into the pillow. She didn't mean it. How could he just leave so easily? Did he ever care? Maybe he didn't feel as strongly as he did. Whether or not he expected her to go to work, she wouldn't go. She couldn't bear to see him, to work beside him feeling the way she did. She had a lot of money saved up to buy her time before she got another job but right now, all she could do was just cry.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Every time the elevator sounded down the hall, Sesshomaru's heart leapt in his chest hoping to see Kagome walking to her desk, praying that she was late because she stopped for donuts and coffee. But it was almost noon and she still hadn't showed up and dread seeped in when he thought she wouldn't ever. He wanted to call her, check in, wonder if she was coming in but he couldn't bring himself. It hurt too much to hear the disdain in her voice. How could he lose that feeling of warm loving tenderness in just one day? He missed her so much and the possibility that she meant what she said, that she wanted him out of his life, he prayed she didn't mean it. That it was just done out of anger. He glanced at his phone more times than he could keep track, hoping to see a text from her, asking for them to talk but the hours passed well into the evening and she never did.

Shurran knocked on his door. "I'm sorry, sir. May I come in?"

"Shurran, now isn't the time." Sesshomaru dismissed, not wanting to meet her eyes because he was starting to resent her for being the reason that him and Kagome may never be.

"I know, but I feel really horrible about last night. I was-"

Sesshomaru snapped his head at her. "I am in a diligent position right now and would appreciate it if you'd leave me be."

At that moment, Hiten and Koura knocked on the door and he dropped his head into his palm.

"What is it?"

"Sorry to interrupt, sir." Hiten paused to scowl at Shurran. "but we'd like to bring something to your attention."

"Hiten, Koura, I am very-"

Koga walked in holding a bag of Wendy's. "Anyone talk to Kagome? She's not answering her phone."

"That's it!" Sesshomaru slammed his fist on the table and stood up. "Will you all just leave now!"

Everyone jerked back and looked at each other wide eyed as the usually calm and collected youkai fumed at his desk.

"Shurran, we can forget everything. There is nothing else to discuss. " he looked toward Hiten and Koura "You two and I will speak tomorrow morning. " he then scowled at Koga. " and I do not know where Kagome is, alright?" he bitterly glanced at everyone and pointed to the door. "Please!"

"Yes, sir." Shurran bowed as she left. Koura and Hiten nodded and followed behind her.

Koga kept a concerned gaze on Sesshomaru. "Something happened?"

"Koga!"

"Fine, don't bite my head off. I was just asking where Kagome was....and to think...I was going to let you in on these fries." Koga clutched the bag. "Oh, when you're not all cranky...tell Kagome I found my own apartment. You guys can stop by once I get my couch." he grabbed a handful of fries and stuffed them into his mouth. "Here's to no more stupid soap operas and petty arguments or Sango's nagging."