9

Once Emma was out the driveway Tom went to the kitchen and Kate followed. "Tea?" He asked.

"Wine, please," Kate said.

"Mrs Hiddleston, are you quite certain? You did ask me to look out for you this evening."

"I'm absolutely positive. Wine, please."

"Yes ma'am," Tom said, getting two glasses and an open bottle of white wine from the fridge. Kate kicked off her shoes and sat herself on the island bench. "I have had a lovely evening, Thomas."

"Me too, Katherine. I'm so glad you're feeling better. And I'm so sorry for the way I behaved."

"It's OK, Tom. It's all forgiven. You just didn't know. I do feel like I'm getting my 'self' back though."

After a few minutes Tom moved to stand in front of Kate, looking down at her eyes, her face and her lips. He took her chin in his long fingers and tilted her face up to his, leaning down to kiss her mouth gently. Kate knew what he really wanted was to devour her right there, and she was touched by his restraint.

She kissed him back eagerly, her tongue probing his parted lips and searching for his, sucking it and grazing it with her teeth. Tom moaned into her, almost inaudibly, and Kate felt it rather than heard it as he leaned in and put a hand behind her neck. Once again his restraint was evident, Kate could almost feel the tension in him as he fought to keep his touch soft, wanting to pull her into him but afraid that she might pull away if he did.

Kate felt a familiar ache deep in her stomach, her heart rate increasing slightly when she put her fingertips to the skin of his neck, letting them dance over the sensitive spot behind his ear. This time there was no doubt, he stiffened against her and pulled her in gently with a hand on the curve of her back. She sighed into his warm mouth, the need behind his touch igniting a desire that had almost burned out. Tom's hand moved from her neck to her hair, deftly removing the pins so it unfurled down her back. He ran his fingers easily through the strands, letting them pass through his fingers like silk.

After sucking her tongue and releasing it one last time, he pulled away slowly, keeping his eyes closed for a few seconds and pressing his forehead against hers. Kate could hear his breathing had quickened, and she could feel his heart racing through her fingertips.

He slowly opened his eyes and looked into Kate's flushed face, her dilated pupils and swollen pink lips. Her bright blue eyes stared into his, having fought her way back to the surface of the black sea that had threatened to consume her, she could feel herself gripping on to him, floating, buoyant, and ready to reclaim life.

Kate took a long sip of wine and slipped down off the bench, taking Tom's hand and leading him to the stairs. They paused briefly to switch off the lights before ascending to the bedroom, the lights dimmed so there was just the slightest glow around the room. She reached behind her for the zip on her dress and hesitated, not because she didn't want to undress, but because she didn't want Tom to see.

Sensing her unease, Tom walked toward her and stood behind her, slowly unzipping her and following with light kisses on her warm skin. With two firm hands on her now bare shoulders he led her to the full length mirror in the corner, and Kate immediately put a hand to her face and shook her head.

"Yes, darling. If you're uncomfortable with anything just say so, but I want you to see what I see."

He waited for her to nod in consent before letting the dress fall to the floor so she could step out of it and he tossed it over the nearby chair. Kate was left in a black lace bra and panties, one she had bought while in Australia when Lizzie had thought it might help her feel attractive again. Tom remained behind her, she could feel him breathing in her ear as he looked at her in the mirror.