5) A Doorknob For A Kidnapping

Chapter Five:
A Doorknob For A Kidnapping

Ward finally stopped as he flung Samantha, who was holding on his arm (more like dear life) away.

Gritting her teeth, Samantha slowly stood up. The pain located at her ankle was seeping through her consciousness. She let out a small groan, staggering towards the man who was responsible for this.

Ward crossed his arms together, boredom evident on his sharp features. "Stop acting like a kid," he said, pressing the cobweb-surrounded doorbell.

Samantha was disgusted with this imbecile's poor attitude and his lack of hygiene awareness. "Then show me your basic manners," she retorted, one hand of hers leaning against the brick building involuntarily. She decided that she would pretend the dust didn't bother her. Her ankle was killing her anyway.

Samantha heard something click, a crisp sound following. Ward swiftly pushed the dark gray door "Ladies first," he stated, a long arm stretched. She huffed and stomped, making her way through the cobblestone staircase.

Ward chuckled. From the sudden halt of the quiet but steady footsteps, Samantha knew that he was right behind her. Her entire body stiffened as his rhythmic breathing trickled her neck.

Samantha closed her eyes, a gap forming between her lips. Strangely, she liked the foreign warm sensation.

Samantha shakily inhaled a last breath of Ward's---er, the house's musky woodsy scent and turned around to face him.

"What are you doing?" Samantha cursed herself for carrying out a supposingly strong question in a breathless tone. She coughed to clear her throat, hoping that Ward didn't notice.

Ward's eyebrows were arched while a smile tugged the sides of his mouth. "Ladies first?" He repeated his former statement politely.

Samantha pretended that there was no arsehole mocking her in his oh-so-mature manner and yanked a doorknob with all the strength she mustered.

Klink!

The doorknob dropped to the floor.

"Wow, feisty," Ward snickered. Casually striding past Samantha, he kicked the door open with ease and left her all alone.

Samantha seriously considered aiming the poor doorknob at Ward's head, which she strongly suspected was full of air.

Come on, Samantha. Why do you have to care about a kidnapper so much?

Reluctantly, she agreed with the wise little voice inside her head and took a deep breath, before following Ward with the doorknob in her hand.

"Hey man!"

Samantha whirled around to see a blonde boy grinning. He waved at Ward, who later answered him with a 'Hey.'

"Dude," he gestured at the door. "What happened? Did someone break in?"

Ward finally faced Samantha. His green eyes flicked to her. "Yes, Evan," He smiled, a smile that was a bit too sweet. "You could say so."

"Holy crap!" The guy exclaimed, his blue eyes clouded with shock. He just stood there and inspected Samantha from head to toe.

"Yes, blonde guy," said Samantha, irritation heavily laced in her answer. "I was the intruder,"she emphasized the last word, twirling the glimmering doorknob. "Who destroyed one of your pretty little assets."

The blond stared back at the fellow blonde, his expression vacant. Ward said nothing, his gaze almost on the verge of burning the back of Samantha's head.