FELICITY: ONE

FELICITY: ONE

"Lissy, darling. Mommy wants to tell you something."

Nine-year-old 'Lissy'---Felicity carefully pleated her brown dress, her 8th birthday gift from Mother. Glancing at her pink alarm clock, she knew that it was almost bedtime, and normally Mother would sing Felicity a lullaby till she fell asleep. Something special must had happened, Felicity thought. Stretching her short legs, she sprinted as fast as she could.

"Mommy!" Felicity squealed loudly once she reached the entrance of the living room and saw a figure with cascading light brown waves sitting on the lime green couch. Felicity pulled the woman into a big hug.

The woman laughed. "Lissy," she chastised in a gentle tone. "Sammie is sleeping."

Felicity backed away and that was only when she noticed Sammie curled up in her Mother's lap, sleeping peacefully. She whisper-shouted an 'oh'. Some strands of Sammie's golden hair escaped from her messy, almost tousled braids. " Mommy," said Felicity excitedly. "Is Sammie's birthday coming?" Her big blue eyes widened in innocent happiness. "Are you going to buy her a new dress like mine?"

Her mother---Yanna hesitated. The motherly smile didn't disappear, but Felicity thought that Mommy seemed a bit nervous, the same kind of nervous which she had experienced when exams were approaching.

"Smart girl," praised Yanna. She ruffled Felicity's caramel-colored straight hair. "Your sister is going to be seven very very soon!" Yanna showed her elder daughter seven fingers. "Sammie has been a good girl like Lissy."

Felicity's satisfied beam stretched a tad bit bigger. She continued to nod enthusiastically.

"So now, Mommy needs help from Lissy," Yanna began, her voice somehow softer and smaller. "To give Sammie a birthday gift."

Felicity tilted her head at her mother curiously.

"Protect her," said Yanna. The look on her usual kind face was serious and Felicity wasn't sure that she liked it or not. "Okay, Felicity?"

Felicity touched Sammie's soft blonde hair. "Okay, Mommy," she replied confidently. "I will protect Sammie."

"Good girl," Yanna embraced Felicity, heaving a heavy sigh. Her voice was shaky, but her daughters seemed to not notice it.

***

"Madam, someone is asking for you."

Felicity gave her secretary a curt nod acknowledgement. "Please inform the misters that I'll arrive shortly, Layla," was Felicity's abrupt response. Layla spun around by her ridiculously tall high-heels and scurried away.

After scanning her entire office, Felicity unfastened the top buttons of her tight white blouse. A delicate silver necklace hanging on her neck was revealed. She roughly tugged out the heart-shaped pendant dangling in the center of her throat.

FELICITY:
HAPPINESS.

Felicity's neutral expression hardened at the elegant words curved. She glanced at the shut drawer of her working desk. To be honest, why was Felicity still bringing this necklace around?

Her mother's warm face appeared in her mind and the rage within Felicity's veins went away. Right, thought Felicity. This was one of the few objects Mom had left for me.

Loud impatient knocks vibrated from another side of Felicity's office door. There was no time for Felicity to let her brain wander. She swiftly fastened her collar whilst grabbing the thick brown folder placed on the top of her shelves. Hastily inserting her security password, Felicity left with a stonic appearance she didn't even bother to disguise.

A/N: This chapter came into my mind at the last second. I completed this chapter in half an hour because the inspiration light bulb in my fuzzy mind lit up. Yay!
Also, do you remember Felicity?  She's quite important in this story
:-)