11) Individually in Your Own Minds

Chapter Eleven:
Individually in Your Own Minds

Ward heard the door of the room next to his slam loudly. He stared at the neat floor which was covered by the familiar brown carpets.

"Ward," said Evan, his usually kind face now stoic. "I really hope you are not going to just merely dismiss this situation."

Ward's bright green eyes turned to meet Evan's serious blue ones. "You don't have to worry, Evan." On his lips was a reassuring smile, but the rest of his facial features were abnormally stiff. "I got everything under control."

Evan clenched his teeth. "Why are you so confident about this?"

Ward said nothing. His hand fumbled in the pocket of his dark denim jeans. He placed a small silver chip in the palm of his right hand. "I am a strategist, after all. I know what I am doing." He flicked the chip lazily. "Including the risks I'll take."

***

Twelve a.m.

Samantha rolled around on her bed, trying to shake herself into sleep but she couldn't. It was supposed to be three in the morning in New York. She sighed at the thought of her apartment. Small, but definitely cozy. The hotel bed was bigger and far too hard to Samantha's liking.

A cheerful ringtone rang which scared Samantha for a second.

"Brighton," said Rae crisply. Samantha immediately buried herself under the thick blanket. After the incident, she and Rae barely spoke a word. Samantha stayed in the room and took a long, long nap. It was part of the reason why she needed to pretend she's asleep.

Samantha heard a pause. She held her breath as the sound of bedsheets shuffling emitted from Rae's direction.

"No, Dante," Rae whispered in a frustrated tone. "I couldn't find the gem."

Rae let out a string of profanities quietly, running her fingers through her black mane. "I'll search for it," she said after a long while of silence and tension. "How's it going with Sandra?"

"That cunt won't obey my orders, even after I told her it was under his command. No information still."

Rae licked her dry lips. "Did you guys change your location?"

"Nah," answered Dante. "Boss said we couldn't risk that girl escaping from us once more." He paused then continued. "We're stay here about a week."

"Hm," Rae murmured. Samantha felt her calculating gaze fall on her. "No worries, we're going to succeed. I'm sure of it."

Samantha quickly closed her eyes.

***

"Ouch," Samantha winced. Her eyes flew open and she found herself on the floor, tangled in her blanket. Her feet ached.

"You're finally awake."

Samantha turned around, a tad clumsily than she intended to be. Ward stood on the other side of her bed, his arms crossed. "How did you get in?" She asked, annoyed. "I didn't ask for a personal alarm clock."

Ward remained expressionless. "Evan and I are about to get something for breakfast," he said. "I thought you needed food in order to bicker with me so I lent the entrance card from Rae." He lifted his hand, which was holding the silver card. "Maybe Rae could be the one who'll wake you up next time," remarked Ward coolly. "I guess you'd greet her more enthusiastically than you did to me."

Samantha swallowed. She didn't want to interact with Rae at all after what happened last night. She felt queasy about that woman.

Should she tell Ward that?

Samantha looked in his bright eyes, hoping to find an answer. "Perhaps."

***

"Did you even bother to comb your hair?"

"I can look whatever the hell I want," Samantha snapped. Her eyes roamed around the table for another chair apart from the seat next to the infuriating dark-haired boy. "Oh, Evan," her tone immediately softened when she saw the blond's cautious stance. "Go enjoy your breakfast. I'll find myself another table."

She felt a tight grasp on her hand. "Nope," said Ward curtly. "Stay here."

"And I thought my messy hair was bothering you!" Samantha shouted. "Can't you see that I'm doing you a favor? A freaking favor!"

Ward's face was impassive. "That was simply a comment of mine," he replied in a brief manner. "Get rid of your childishness and think about the rest of us for once!" He sighed in frustration. "They're out th---" Ward stopped at Samantha's frozen form. "Samantha? Samantha?"

Think about your so-called sister for once!

Samantha frantically shook her head at the nasal words in her mind. They are not here, she thought. She inhaled sharply. They aren't here. I'm 100% fine. Totally.

"Is she in shock, Evan?"

Samantha heard muffled conversation from the two boys. She knew they were talking, but somehow it was difficult for her to focus on anything.

"I'm not sure." Samantha felt Evan inching towards her as a gust of cool air tingled on her bare arms. "I think she's kind of deep in thought, man. Her eyes are glassy. And it looks even more scary up close."

Ward gestured Evan to walk away. He stood right in front of Samantha. "Hey," he said gently. "Sammy?"

The shackles on Samantha's entire body loosened. "Teddy?" She whispered back. She wasn't aware of Ward's stunned expression, what she was sure of was that Teddy returned.

Samantha heard somebody clear their throat. "No," Her eyes shot up to Ward's embarrassed face. "I'm not Teddy." He averted his stare to the counters placed with food. "You were in a daze just lately." Walking away, he added, "Stay next to Evan."

"What happened?" Samantha asked in small voice.

There was silence before Evan answered. "You two were having a moment," he paused, then hastily corrected. "Individually in your own minds."

A/N: I screwed up. Big time. And here I am (chuckles nervously). Yeah, hey.

I think this story would end sooner than my original expectations. But don't worry, we've still got plenty.

Any special thoughts? Are you guys interested in another person's POV? Because I might write one in the future ;-)