10) I Take Your Silence as A Yes

Chapter Ten:
I Take Your Silence as A Yes

"Wake up."

Samantha heard Ward grunt out an order which he made clear that she should most definitely follow. Also, this was the third time he spoke those words.

Samantha's eyes opened in an instant and she walked to the aisle, meeting a stunned Ward.

"No complaints?" He asked in disbelief.

She shrugged. "I'm far too sleepy to debate." Saying this, she took hold of one of the luggage bags from Ward's hands.

"You're nicer when you're drowsy, Samantha," remarked Ward with humor. "Originally I thought sleepiness would have the opposite effect on you."

Samantha nodded. The truth was that Evan's sentence kept echoing in her head and she was ashamed of her attitude to Ward. She dragged the heavy cart behind her. But he didn't have to know about this. Samantha didn't need one more person to make fun of her.

"I will explain everything more detail-oriented later," Ward's voice was gravely serious. "I know you are...confused, but don't doubt too much."

Samantha snorted. "Is this your way of apologizing?"

"No, but you can consider this as my way of talking to airheads."

Samantha stopped walking. She beamed, mustering as much innocence as she could. Ward avoided looking at her. She knew that he sensed something wrong about this atmosphere but too bad he wasn't exactly sure.

Let's just say that Samantha's foot accidentally tripped Ward.

"Not much of a mind-reader now, eh?" Samantha teased. She loved her victory, undeclared or not.

"So you have not quit being foolish," Ward shook his head disapprovingly like Katherine always did.

"Nah," Samantha put a hand over her mouth to hide her giggles. "But you can consider this as my way of talking to jerks."

***

Samantha started regretting her witty retort she directed to Ward earlier. It was obvious that he ran out of comebacks and he tried to hide it in such a cowardly manner. Glancing at the heavy bags at her feet and Ward, who was skimming his phone for no goddamn reason at another corner of the hotel lobby back and forth, a bunch of profanity words came to her mind. Ward smirked the smirk, which drove Samantha to the verge of insanity.

Gingerly, Samantha touched her hair. It felt like a bird nest under her hand and she let out an inward groan. So much for combing her tangled hair to look tidy. She forced a smile to get rid of the awful grimace.

Samantha saw Rae sending a wink to the dazed staff member then sashayed towards Ward, handing him an object. Ward nodded boredly and walked up the stairs.

"Samantha," said Rae. The sole of her strappy black high heels made contact with the smooth ground, emitting those annoying 'click-click' noises. "You don't mind sharing a room with me, do you?"

"No," answered Samantha, ignoring the screaming of her conscience.

***

"So, this is our room."

Samantha hastily wiped the sweat on her forehead and scanned the room. There were two twin beds at opposite corners, with a mahogany nightstand placed between them, next to the wall. A desk was sitting across to the entrance of the bathroom.

Samantha sighed heavily when she saw the luggage lingering by the door. She had a hard time carrying them whilst walking up the staircase. Sneaking a peek at Rae, Samantha hoped that she would just get her own items.

But Rae didn't budge.

"Aren't these your stu---"

Before Samantha could finish her sentence, Rae stepped forward, smiling. Samantha felt a chill down her spine as her body threatened to drop onto the bed behind her.

"Samantha," drawled Rae. "Earlier, I believe you mentioned that you don't mind me being your roommate," she paused, a coy smile...the exact smile she flashed at Samantha on the plane. "Didn't you?"

Samantha clenched her jaw. She had to resist the urge to groan from the pain Rae inflicted by digging sharp, perfectly manicured nails into her shoulders. Images of Ward clutching the area near her neck one day ago darted in her bewildered mind. Ward's hold was tighter.

Then how would Samantha explain the overwhelming fear that consumed her right now?

"I take your silence as a yes," said Rae. She pushed Samantha to the bed, which was surprisingly soft. "I'm going to deal with some business, so have fun unpacking, sweetie."

Samantha could only watch, still frozen until Rae's slender silhouette went out of her sight. She settled herself and clutched her neck with aching hands. For a moment, Samantha saw her entire body covered by bruises. Just like it had been before.

No. No.

Samantha let out a silent cry. She wasn't supposed to experience this again. She was strong, she was unaffected by everything. She shouldn't let this get to her.

Samantha wiped her eyes hastily and looked up with a fierce determination in her eyes. That's more like it.

The glint in Rae's gray eyes was malicious, not too different from the triumph Samantha saw in Rachel's stance. Something was shady, and Samantha swore she would uncover everything.

Everything must be uncovered. Everything.

A/N: Hey there! I ended this chapter with a format similar to the one which Ward was partly focused on. Did you notice? Also, do you have any thoughts or theories about Samantha's strong emotions inflicted by Rae? Is Rae someone worthy to be trusted? I'll let you decide. Share them in the comments ;-)

I'm active on Instagram and my username's @zoenyxray . Feel free to chat with me via DM! :D