Chapter 5

It's 2am when Liam finally decides to come home, he finds Niall in the kitchen drinking a class of water.

"Hey" he says, startling Niall.

"Liam" Niall says shocked to see him. He had thought that he wasn't going to come home anytime soon. "You're here"

"Where else would I be?" Liam says, his gaze never leaving Niall's.

"Listen I've be-" Niall tries to say only to have Liam cut him off.

"Look it's late and I'm not really in the mood to do this right now" Liam says,

"I didn't wait up for you, just to have you blow me off like that" Niall says, frowning.

"Well now you know what it feels like to be blown off" Liam says bitterly.

"Li-"

"Not now okay" Liam says, running a hand through his hair as he begins to walk out the room.

"I read your journal" Niall says stoping Liam.

"Why would you do that?" Liam says sounding angry.

"I don't know"

"It was private" Liam says through clenched teeth.

"I know and I'm sorry I was just cur-" Niall tries but is cut off yet again by an angry Liam.

"You've already caused me a lot of damage, I think the least you could've done was not invade this one thing that I could hold on to, those things I wrote in there were my personal thoughts, for my eyes only" Liam spat

"I'm sorry" Niall says but Liam only shakes his head and walks out the kitchen, heading to his room.

Once in the room his stripes himself of his clothes and drops face first on to the bed, instantly falling asleep.

What feels like an hour sleep is only ten minutes because his woken up by Niall.

He was rubbing a fist over his eye, lips opening around a yawn, when he finally registered the warm weight snuggled into his side.

Heart jumping into his throat, Liam looked sideways and found Niall there, hand clenched tightly around the front of Liam's shirt.

"Niall" he whispered, voice hoarse from his nap. "What're you - "

"Can we - " Niall's voice was thick and scratchy; tearful; small, "- can you pretend that we're still okay? Please? Just this once because I - "

Liam's gaze fell to the tears on Niall's face and he made a sound deep in his throat "c'mere,"he said and Niall let out a shaky gasp as Liam hauled him closer, almost all the way over his chest.

Niall buried his face into Liam's neck. The slight graze of his lips made Liam tremble just as hard as Niall.

"I didn't mean to make you cry"

"you didn't and please don't apologise i should be, I'm such a horrible person, I don't deserve your kindness, I broke your heart so many times and you still continue to love me and I have no idea wh-"

"Shut up," Liam said tightly, wrapping his arms around Niall and pressing them even closer together if that was possible; it was. "Everybody makes mistakes, that's what makes us human." He cupped the side of Niall's face and tilted it up so their eyes met. "I love you, you could break my heart a thousand times and I'll still love you the same"

Niall stared at him, wide-eyed, bottom lip sucked into his mouth. He reached up to stroke the stubble on Liam's jaw. Tears clung to his eyelashes. "Okay" he mumbled roughly then tucked his face into Liam's neck again.

Liam's heart was pounding furiously and he rubbed Niall's back, hoping to soothe him. He knew what he'd just said: I love you. It felt like the first time Liam had said those three words, fear and anxiety churning in his gut as he waited for Niall to say anything.

He didn't, though, and Liam clenched his jaw shut to stop himself from sobbing. The physical pain distracted him from the soul-crushing ache in the middle of his chest. Niall clung to him, and Liam realised that he still didn't know what to do. Despite his grief, Liam still revelled in the feeling of Niall back in arms, but.

That was the first time Niall didn't say the words back.

Bit short but I got lazy soz