Nightfall Hits

• Dedicated to Amy Grainger

Coltsworth continued on to the old school  house and kicked down the remanding wooden door frame with ease, his weapon in hand and finger on the trigger ready he strolled carefully trying to make as little noise as possible and came across a photograph he knew very well. Moore soon followed his lead and came to stand by his side also staring at the age ridden picture.

“Is that you Sarge?” Moore pointed out a young boy standing at the back of picture, neat brunette hair and a smart uniform standing to attention.

Coltsworth chuckled “I would unfortunately have to say yes my dear friend”

“Who would of ever thought you was a goody goody eh Sarge?”

“Shut up Glen” Coltsworth’s voice came across harsher than meant to but it did the trick.

No sooner where the two interrupted by a large crash and a shaking of the whole building forcing all of the remaining photos and memories crashing to the ground with shatters of glass. Moore jumped at the sound and glanced at Coltsworth for confirmation.

“Crawlers... I did warn you they would come out and play when nightfall hit and oh look at that, its nightfall. Fuck this shit” He growled the words in a deep and harsh voice and instantly started to think of a plan.

“Sarge... You may want to hurry up with that plan your brewing because they’re coming... and a lot of them!” Moore’s voice started to rise in panic as the crawlers approached nearer by the second, hundreds even thousands of them. They wouldn’t stand a chance.

“Light switch!” Coltsworth crossed the distance to the nearest light switch in the room within seconds and flickered at the switch, hoping to god luck was on his side, when the room darkened even more with the approaching crawlers he swore loudly and headed for the back of the building. “Moore get your arse out the back now and head towards the street lights!”

Moore followed his sergeant’s commands without hesitation and practically jumped through the air to land underneath the dim glow of the street light, shortly followed by Coltsworth. The two were soon surrounded by crawlers hiding just inside the shadows of the streets.

“Sarge why aren’t they attacking?” Moore’s voice was full of panic and curiosity bubbling together frantically.

“Light is their enemy, why do you think we never see crawlers about in the daylight?” Coltsworth chuckled slightly under his breath and teased the crawlers by stepping into the darkness then back into the cover of the light within seconds, a loud hissing sound rumbled throughout the darkness.

“Sarge quit it your pissing them off and that’s never a good start” Moore’s voice started to become annoyed and he grabbed his companion on the shoulder heavily pulling his to his side.

“You’re no fun anymore Moore, What happened to you?”

“I lost my wife and my brother. That’s what.” Moore trembled with anger and a low growl escaped through his lips.

 Coltsworth instantly fell silent and leaned against the street light for a few minutes before chuckling “Well we won’t be going anywhere until day break so you might as well relax unless of course you care to take a wander with your new friends”

Moore glared at Coltsworth and slumped down beside the street light facing away from him “This is going to be a long night.”