Chapter XV

They both stood on the cliff with the breeze blowing gently off the sea. Isla had managed to stop her tears falling after she pushed her horse closer to Ross' and he could reach over and wrap his arm around Islas shoulder. They soon rode back and Jud took their horses, they walked inside and Isla went straight to bed, she felt a little under the weather and needed to rest but she wanted to be alone. 

Ross wandered into his study and sat behind the desk, he ran his fingers through his hair, he was trying to think of a way in which he could please her and how he could make her happy again. Midday soon hit the Cornish coast and Isla was waking up.  Ross had just figured out who was the killer as he examined the pocket watch, and saw the name George Washington engraved into the back.

"I knew it!" He exclaimed.

He raced up and jumped onto the back of his horse and sped off to Trenwith House. Isla panicked and ran to his study but he wasn't there, she ran outside in her night gown but he was gone already. His steed thudded against the ground as his hooves hit the ground. Ross was filled with rage and he wanted nothing more than to bring the killer to justice, he could see Trenwith in his sights but his horse slid on the wet mud and he fell to the floor, Ross was thrown from his horse and rolled around till he stopped and nearly hit one of the Trenwith walls. Darkie pulled himself up off the ground using his powerful legs, Ross lay on the ground, he was in pain and felt like he couldn't move. 

He was lucky that Elizabeth and Francis had just set out on their trip for a ride around the coast when Francis spotted his cousin lying on the ground, but to make it worse it started to rain. "Ross?" He shouted cantering over to him on his grey dappled Andalusian stallion he was careful not to trample his cousin. Elizabeth followed on her Cremello mare. They both dismounted frantically. Darkie was standing next to him, but they both picked him up and slung him gently over the back of their horse and walked him back to the house, by this point Ross was unconscious as his head hit the ground first.

They got him into one of the spare rooms and laid him down on the bed, they took off his jacket and boots then put the duvet over him trying to keep him warm, the fire was lit and Elizabeth didn't leave his side. Isla was worried about him since he hadn't come back, so she tacked up her Friesian gelding  and galloped over to Trenwith. She saw Darkie tied outside amongst two different horses, she panicked and dismounted the still galloping horse, and ran to the door knocking frantically but it took a little while for anyone to answer.

Finally Francis answered the door "Isla?" He asked.

"Where's Ross?" She asked.

"Upstairs" he replied.

She pushed past him and ran up the stairs, she opened the door and saw Elizabeth with him, he was pale and he didn't look well. She exchanged glances with Elizabeth and then ran to Ross' side.

Please vote and comment