Chapter XIX

A few days later and Ross was healing, he was sat up in bed reading, Isla had forbidden him to leave the room till he felt better. She was terrified of losing him, whether it was to Elizabeth or the weakness that still plagued him. Isla was sat next to him a quill and journal in her hand, the tip gently scratched against the paper, every now and then she would dip the tip into an inkwell and continue writing.

Ross glanced over at her, "Isla you know I appreciate you being here, don't you?" he asked. 

"Of course Ross," she replied leaning over and placed a kiss on his cheek.

"When I am well enough we will return home." He told her and gently offered her his hand. 

"I yearn for the day we do," Isla replied. 

"I understand my love." He said.  Isla placed down her quill and journal, stood up and walked to the door. "Where are you going?" Ross asked. 

"I'm going to get you something to eat," Isla said and walked out the door, skipped down the stairs. 

"How is he?" Elizabeth asked. 

"Much better than he was," Isla said, she walked straight into the kitchen and was met by the servants. 

"Can I help you Mi-lady?" A young girl asked. 

"No, it's okay." Isla said and began to prepare food for Ross, it wasn't long till she returned upstairs. Ross was slumbering once again, she placed the tray slowly down on top of the chest of draws; she returned to her chair and took up her quill and finished her journal entry. After a few hours of rest Isla went for a walk around the grounds of Trenwith, she found herself being drawn to the stables. 

As she entered there were four stables on either side of her, four pure white Lippizaners stood on one side and four ebony Friesians stood on the other side. Isla walked over to the first stable where the Friesian stood. "Hello boy," she said and stroked his nose. 

"Do you like horses?" Elizabeth asked as she approached Isla from behind. 

"I love them," she answered turning ever so slightly. 

"Would you like to go for a ride?" She asked. 

"No, I mean perhaps another time I need to stay with Ross," she said and began to return.

"Isla, please, can't we just forget what happened?" She asked, Isla paused and turned on her heel. 

"No we can't." She replied and stormed back to Trenwith, she ran up the stairs lifting her skirt above her ankles, she shut the door behind her and returned to her rightful place next to Ross. She gently took Ross' hand and kissed it, he stirred slowly and looked at her. 

"Where did you?" he asked. 

"Just took a visit to the stables." She replied, "I wasn't long, it probably just felt longer to you." Ross looked at her and smiled.  

"I'm sorry if I scared you," Ross said. 

"You didn't scare me, you just worried me my love but you look much better," Isla said. 

"I feel it,"Ross replied, dragging Isla gently onto the bed with him.