Road Trip Day 3

*Meredith's POV*

I wake I up to an obnoxious woman's voice outside our door.

"Darcy, get back here!" She yells.

I groan and flop over to see the clock. The alarm clock reads 6:27 am. I look across to Meghan's bed. She is still sound asleep.

I get my phone from the night stand and check our route.

We still have about 30 hours left until we get there. We are planning on driving 9 hours today, and stopping in New Mexico. Tomorrow we will drive about 8 hours to Arizona. We will have to drive about 12 hours the day after tomorrow, but we will finally arrive in California. We agreed that this was okay because we can leave around 5 am and arrive around 7 pm, including all the stops necessary.

I turn off my phone and roll over to sleep some more.

•••

We get to New Mexico and drive another 4 hours until we finally stop at our hotel. As Meghan gets us checked in, I wander around the lobby. I stop in front of the fish tank, smiling at the fish. Meghan walks over and stands behind me.

"Ready to head up?"
"Sure. Aren't the fish so cute?"
"Yeah. I like the angel one."

In the elevator, we fight over who gets to press the button to our floor. Finally, I wrestle Meghan's finger off it and I victoriously press the button to floor 4. We arrive at our destination, and I swing open the door to our room. I love hotels...

We toss our bags on the floor and flop on the bed.
"So...what do you wanna do?" I ask Meghan.
"I have no idea. Wanna walk around the town?"
"Sure, why not?" I slowly lift myself from the bed.
"Come on, slowpoke," I look towards her voice and see that she is standing by the door.
"How did you...okay..."

When we lock up the room, we head to the elevator. This time I let Meg press the button to the lobby. We lurch to a stop and the door opens with a ding!. Meghan steps out, and I follow. When we get outside, I look around. I choose a random direction and start walking. Meghan jogs to catch up.
"Where to?"
"I don't know. I'm just walking."

The pretty scenery intrigues me. I walk over to this beautiful bush type thing with flowers all over it. I pull out my phone and take a picture of it.

"Connor Franta, much?" Meghan says. I just laugh, and continue putting it on Twitter and Instagram.

"It is so nice out today," Meghan says.
"Yeah. I wish it was like this in Florida."
"Wouldn't that be nice."

We continue walking down the street. The clouds block the sun from scorchin us, and there is a light breeze. I sigh, looking around. In just two days we will be in California!

Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Meghan fumbles through her drawstring Nike bag for her phone. She pulls it out and answers it just in time.

"Hello?"
Pause.
"No, this is Meghan.."
Pause again.
"Okay. Yes."
Meghan looks at me and makes a confused face.
"Alright. Mmhmm.. Okay.... Bye."

"Who was that?" I ask her.
"I don't know. Somebody looking for Amy Flynn," She tells me.
I shrug. Meghan sticks her phone back in her bag and we start walking again.

"I wonder what everyone back home is doing," I say, my stomach tightening. Yes, I still get homesick. It isn't as bad a it used to be, but I still miss my family.

"I bet they are sitting around, having a big party with all that meat Aunt Dani bought," Meghan says laughing.

"Most likely," I agree, laughing too, my homesickness already fading.

My stomach growls at the thought of steak, burgers, and sausage.
"I am starving," I exaggerate.
"Yeah, what do you want to eat?" Meghan asks.
"Um, I don't care, you choose," I shrug.
"Okay. Red Robin?" She suggests.
"Oooh. Yaaasss please!" I say, my mouth instantly watering.

We go to the nearest Red Robin, which happens to be about 30 minutes away.

Once we get there I order a grilled chicken sandwhich with guacamole on it and Meghan orders a grilled chicken sandwich with bacon on it. We both get waffle fries and strawberry lemonade.

"This is awesome," Meghan says slumping down a little in her hair and closing her eyes for a few seconds.
"The food?" I ask smiling.
"That too, but I was just talking about the whole thing..us going to California I mean," She tells me.
"Oh. I know. Thanks so much, again, for getting the tickets and getting everything planned," I say graciously.
"You are so welcome. Thanks for wanting to come!" She says back.

We finish our food, while exchanging embarrassing stories.

We decide to head back to our hotel and swim.

We are the only people at the pool, besides a litte boy in the shallow end. His mom is sitting in the hot tub, not paying attention to anything that is happening.

Meghan and I drift around in the deep end of the pool for a while. We don't do much, just swim alone. We race a couple times, but that is it.

After we swim we go back to our room. Meghan takes a shower bfore me, so while I wait I watch TV.

I turn on the TV and it goes to Animal Planet. There is some stupid show about sharks on so I change to TLC. The Little Couple is on. I watch that until Meghan comes out.

I hop in the shower when Meghan is done, and then I get ready for bed.

We have our own beds.

We lay awake, watching Peter Pan, until we drift off into sleep.