11.The Ugly Truth

Shawn
"Well, well, well, if it ain't the preacher's boy." A voice called.
I looked up. "Um do I know you."
"No but I know you." He stated.
I raised my eyebrow, "Listen dude I got places to go, so unless..." I started.
"Your name is Shawn Murphy. You're 21. Your birthday is February 15. Your favorite color is blue. I even know you have a birthmark on your ass the shape of Texas. Do I have your attention now?" He interrupted.
I put the nozzle back in its place and looked him straight in the eye, "Yeah."
"Good." He handed me a card. "Call me when you want to know more."
I took the card, got into my car, and drove away.
That was weird.
"You're not gonna call him, are you?" Colby asked taking a sip of her drink.
"Right now I'm just focused on getting to work." I sighed.
"Okay, just if you do decide to call and meet up, don't go alone. That's how you end up on first 48."
I smiled, "I won't." The car fell into silence.
"So Texas, huh." She smirked.
~~~~
I messed up so many orders today. I couldn't concentrate. All I could think about was this man, and how he had all my information . So I ended up calling him up and we agreed to meet in a public place. I had just picked up Colby ( against my will) we were now headed to an all night diner.
When we got there the place was pretty deserted. All I saw was a couple and the staff. Then I saw him sitting in the corner. Me and Colby approached cautiously. Colby slid in the booth and I followed.
He looked up from his phone, "I thought you'd be a no-show preacher's boy."
"Well I'm not." I said flatly.
"Is this who you stay late with, nice choice, but not I what expected."
Colby raised her eyebrow, "What do you mean?"
"Well I didn't expect a... Female."
"Listen dude all this is hella creepy, so get to the point. What do you want?" Colby shifted in her seat.
He folded his hands. "What I want is Andre."
"The fuck you mean, you want Andre?" I spat.
"I want Andre. How simple can I be preacher's boy."
"Why?" Colby ask before I could retort.
"Six months ago I met Andre. We started having sex. I quickly caught feelings, but Andre already had a lover in his life. But I somehow knew he felt the same, and every time he showed up at my doorstep I was more and more sure. Although the way he talked about you, put doubt in me, every time we got through having sex he would try to end it. Honestly I almost gave up all hope. Then last week Andre came to my house, and we had incredible sex, as always, but this time he didn't try to end it. He looked me in the eye and told me he loved me and you and him are through. In fact the only reason he came home that day was to pack his stuff. I love him Shawn and the only thing that seems to be standing in the way is you."
I rolled my eyes, "That's bullshit. Am I on camera? Did Andre put you up to this? There's no way in hell I'm believing you."
"Think preacher's boy, how else would I know all this stuff about you. I have messages, I have pictures, I have videos, what else is there. You want to catch him in the act come by my house Saturday."
I gritted my teeth, "I want to hear him say it."
"Shawn you know Andre and you know he will never admit to anything."
"Maybe so, but he wouldn't look me in my eyes and lie to me."
"I wouldn't count on that preacher's boy. He's been doing it for six months."
~~~~
After I met up with Ronnie, I had a lot to think about. I honestly with all my heart didn't want to believe him, but how could I not. The pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together. I never thought. I'm just so naive and stupid. I swear fore god when I get home I'm gonna...
"You're not going home." Colby said interrupting my thoughts.
I sighed, "Colby please just get out. "
"No, I won't let you go home in this state." She refused stubbornly.
"Get the fuck out!" I shouted. Still she didn't budge. I slumped my shoulders forward. "Please."
"Fine." She said grabbing the keys out of the ignition and bolting out the door. I chased after her, but slipped on the grass. I gave and I punch the ground repeatedly, trying to let all my frustration out. No matter how many times I punched the ground, I was still angry.
You're so stupid shawn. Punch. Ignorant. Punch. Six months. Punch. You're such a fool. Punch.
"Shawn stop!" Colby called.
Fresh tears stung my eyes. Idiot. Punch.
"Shawn!" She called again.
Retard. Punch. Dummy. Punch.
Colby placed her hand on my shoulder. "Shawn stop."
I fell limp to the ground, my cries uncontrollable.
Colby laid beside me and placed her head on my back. She instantly warmed me. Little by little my cries calmed until I was just left staring at the grass silently not wanting to move an inch.
~~~~
I can't go to sleep. The beds to soft, the cover is too warm, the air is too cold, the smell is too fresh, the room too spacious, the floor too clean. This place is just too perfect to sleep. I want to be home, I want Andre by my side telling me today was just a bad dream, but pain in my heart and the bruises on my fist tell me that will never happen. I could blame my insomnia on the perfect living of Colby, but I knew that wasn't the case.
A scream cut through the silence of the night.
I jumped out of bed, through on some sweat pants that I found in a random drawer, and tried to navigate my way through the house.
Another scream sounded but this time closer, making me scream too. "Shawn! What the hell is wrong with you. You gave me a heart attack."
"I was just trying to see if were alright. I heard you scream." I said trying to recover my breath.
"Oh I'm sorry did I wake you up." She asked worriedly.
I sighed, "No... I couldn't sleep."
"Well since we're both up, how bout I make some camomile tea and we chill for awhile." she suggested.
"Sounds good to me." I agreed.
~~~~
"They come every now and again, nothing like they used to." Colby explained.
"Can you make them stop?" I asked. "Like with pills or something?"
"Pills make them worst." She said shaking her head.
"So what makes them go away." I questioned.
She took a sip of her tea. "Nothing really."
My eyes widened. "Nothing. Really?"
"Well when I was a little girl my Papa would come and lay with me. Then the nightmares would go away. He let me sleep with him every night. Even when I turned 13. He would say 'you're always my princess no matter how old.' She smiled at the memory.
I raised my eyebrow at the tear on her cheek. "But what happened."
She wiped her tear quickly. "Then he was killed by a drunk driver. The nightmares got worse after that. Coming every time I closed my eyes. I tried to get help and they litterly told me the only to stop them is taking a sludge hammer to the head. But overtime they slowed down and now they only happen like three-four times a week."
I frowned, "You say that like it's a good thing."
"Not exactly but its getting better." She admitted. "If you're done asking me questions. I think I'm gonna head off to bed." She yawned.
"I could go with you." I offered but immediately regretted it.
She smiled. "I'm a big girl, I can handle myself."
I smirked, "No doubt you can, princess."
She headed up the stairs. My eyes loomed over her perfect figure. Slowly making my way down her long smooth legs...
She turned around almost catching me in the act. "Shawn?"
"Yeah." I said my voice coming out shaky.
She cocked her head to the side. "Are those my pants?"