Chapter 4 - Deep Gash

"Alright go ahead. Remember what I said yesterday though? You can't go alone"

Reg shuffled towards the door, expecting Laurent to follow.

Laurent, being the romantic that he is, wanted to surprise his girlfriend with another visit. Vivian was really excited about that, since maybe she could spend more time with Larry. Ever since that morning they had kissed, they hadn't been able to spend any time together. But when no one was looking, Larry would wink, or lick his lips while staring right at her. The butterflies in her tummy would expand to twice the size every time he did that.

"Actually" Laurent interjected. "Maybe you come with me Vivian" he smiled at her and Vivian smiled back even though she just died inside. She's sure Laurent said that as a friendly gesture, to patch up whatever conflicts they had between them. But what about all the things she could have done alone with Larry... At the same time she felt relief. She wasn't sure how long she could survive alone with Larry when she had almost hyperventilated with a single kiss.

To her delight and sorrow, Larry chimed in. "Take Reg. Vivi not feeling well, she told me before"

Larry stood beside Vivian and placed his hand on her back. It slowly slithered its way down to her bottom. Vivian struggled to maintain a straight face when he squeezed it slightly.

"She look fine to me" said Laurent, oblivious to their interaction. "Leggo"

...

The first hour in the car was awkward. They sometimes made small talk but mostly just stared out of the windows. Finally they settled on one topic that Laurent could talk about for hours to pass the time.

"My girlfriend is f*cking perfect you know? She know all the right things to say and she good in bed too"

Vivian nodded her head and smiled.

"I just wish Larry got someone like that when I not there. We brothers and I love him but I can't be with him forever. And I feel he sometimes jealous of me because I have him and Julie but he only got me, know what I'm sayin'?"

He looked out the window, resting his arm on it and biting his finger. Vivian smiled soppily at this brotherly love. Maybe Laurent wasn't such an asshole after all.

"He'll find somebody Laurent. Don't you worry" she said, smiling.

"I feel weird when my friends call me that. You call me Lau now" he said, chuckling.

Vivian nodded and bit her lip. She knew he was expecting her to say something like "Call me Vivi" but she felt that name was only reserved for Larry.

They finally arrived at the glamorous glass building. It was already late morning when they arrived. Vivian followed him as he dramatically tiptoed out of the elevator onto her floor. She suppressed her laughter as he knocked on the door, announcing himself in a deep voice as the mailman.

Vivian stood a few steps away, but she saw everything.

Julie opened the door with another man behind her, his arms wrapped around her waist and his lips trailing kisses on her shoulders and neck.

"Baby... Baby stop" she whimpered to the other man, who immediately stopped and looked up to see Laurent's face falling.

Laurent's heart dropped to the pit of his stomach and his limbs felt numb. The man was holding her the same exact way he had held her when he came last time. Tears threatened to escape but he didn't care. His mind skipped through the five stages of grief and arrived at acceptance. This always happened with every girl he loved. It always ended with a broken heart.