Chapter 5 - Avalanche

For the third time that night, Larry rustled off his bed covers and rubbed his sore eyes. He wished sleep would just invade his mind and take him to the land of candies and unicorns but it wouldn't happen. He yawned loudly and stretched out his shoulders until they cracked.Then once again he tiptoed into Laurent's room to see if he was doing ok.

He was asleep, and the previously pearly white bandages had slightly spotted with red dots at the centre of his abdomen. He hoped Vivi had a few extra bandages for tomorrow morning because it would definitely need changing. Lau snored softly, murmuring in his sleep. Larry sighed and turned to leave. Before he could walk out the door he heard the floorboards creak outside and knew someone was coming in. Without thinking he slipped behind the door to see Vivian walk in. Her face was as pale as the gown she wore and her dark hair was moussed up as result of rustling around in bed. She hadn't been able to sleep either. Larry peeked around the door to see Vivian kneeling at his bedside.

Even in sleep Laurent's face was twisted in agony, he had been struck with too much pain today and he deserved none of it. Her eyebrows creased together and she took deep breaths to steady herself. "Why him?" she whispered gently at nothing. She placed her hand on his forehead as if to check for fever. None thankfully. She too noticed the spotting on the bandages and made a mental note to change it as soon as he woke up. She stood up and pulled the blanket covers over him, and bit her lip when his hand fell limply to the side of the bed.

She took his hand to shove it gently underneath the covers, and suppressed a startled scream when he suddenly clenched a fist around her wrist.

His eyes were closed but his lips were slightly pulled into a half smile. He chuckled as he opened his eyes to see Vivian scared beyond her wits. Despite nearly peeing her pants in fear she couldn't help but compare Laurent's smile to Larry's. Larry's smile always looked mischievous, even slightly devilish as if he was mocking or daring someone to do what they shouldn't. That was what had caused Vivian to almost aggressively pull his head closer for a kiss.

But Laurent's smile was gentle, sweet. As if he didn't have any expectations of the person he was smiling at except to simply smile back. When Lau smiled his eyes also didn't crinkle like Larry's did. They stayed wide open and reminded her of the innocence of a puppy.

Larry got impatient. Why was she staring at Laurent so long for? He couldn't wait until they had finished because sleepiness had finally set in and he feared he would pass out behind the stupid door. He felt like a child but it was too late to come out from behind it and slip away as they both were now awake. He also didn't feel letting them know he was eavesdropping on their late night conversation would be a very good look for him. He suppressed a groan of frustration and stayed behind the door.

"Viv don't blame yourself for what happen to me. What happen, happen. Alice take care of it. Now no more attacks" he blinked slowly, and the sheen of his skin glowed underneath the city lights in the window.

"But Julie-"

"-is a bish and nothin' we can do 'bout it. Anyway I realize I don't need her when I got Larry... and you. Now go sleep and don't worry 'bout me" he said the last sentence quickly and without emotion to blow off the tension. Vivian bit her lip and turned to leave.

As soon as her footsteps disappeared Laurent let out a grunt of pain and squeezed his eyes shut, clutching at the bandages. Larry immediately came out of his childish hiding spot and kneeled where Vivian had.

"What wrong? I call Vivian-"
Laurent grabbed his arm before he could leave, still groaning.

"Don't tell her. There's nothing she can do. She'll just feel bad."