Chapter 12 - Gun Shot

Vivian froze as she processed the new information that Kevin had just conveyed. Alice was in on this the whole time? How... Why?

The realisation made her blood run cold. If Alice planned this, Larry and Laurent were in danger.

She peeked over Regs armchair, hoping for a distraction so she could slip away undetected. Although both of them were drunk, they were very much still awake. Panic took over her. Here she was stuck in the most ridiculous place when her boys were in trouble.

...

"What to do with you?" Alice sneered, tilting her head as if in deep thought.

Larry remained wary as he looked down the deep barrel of the pistol pointed at his face. One twitch of the finger and his life would instantly mean nothing. He thought about his mother back at home, wondering if their dead bodies would ever reach her. He wondered if many people would attend his funeral. Dark thoughts like these crept their way into his mind, swirling around like inky blackness. His mind and body shut down slowly, preparing himself for the bullet that could end his life.

Meanwhile Laurent was in denial. Alice could never do this, ever. Completely ignoring the gun, he looked into her eyes, searching the cruel depths for a hint of the Alice he once knew and loved. But she wasn't to be found in the newfound hard glare that twisted her face.

"Alice" he whispered, his eyes watering. He lifted up his arms as a sign of surrender. "Why you do this?"

Her face softened momentarily, the cold glint in her eyes replaced with pain and hurt. It disappeared as fast as it arrived. But he saw it, it was short but it was pure. The old Alice, his Alice, still resided. But something terrible had happened to her to make her become this way.

"My mother died" she replied, her voice cracking at the last word. Laurent's heart twisted when he saw the pain on her face.

"Alice, I'm so sorry, she was a lovely-"

"No" she said coolly, the cold edge reappearing in her tone. "Her property and her life savings were supposed to be passed on to me, but she donated it all to charity" she continued mockingly.

"This is about the money?" Laurent asked, disappointment shrouding his perception of her. He felt disgusted. The brothers had cared about her, treated her like she was family. Laurent had even regrettably fallen for her... hard. They were willing to give up their own life savings to be able to see her again, and here she was, bluntly confessing that all she cares about was money.

"Well yes... And no" she considered.

"Oh and I forgot to tell you the most important part" she sneered, while her lips curled into a smile fit for the Joker. She cackled loudly, clutching her tummy. Laurent and Larry looked at each other with fear and concern.

Her cackling broke off, replaced with a cold emotionless persona. Somehow the death glare on her face was even scarier than the barrel of the gun. She stared them down, cursed fire in her eyes.

"In her will, she disowned me."

With a long fingered hand, she aimed her trembling finger at them, as if she was pointing at them.

"She disowned me because of you"

Larry and Laurent stared at her in shock, unable to process what was going on.