Chapter 9 - Business

After the phone call ended, Vivian looked at the brothers, whose faces had creased with worry.

She left the twins on the couch and walked into Laurent's room to sit on the corner of the bed. The clock showed that it was 4am in the morning but the mans phone call had erased all traces of exhaustion from her. Instead her mind was alert and whirring over the facts like a speed boat engine.

Something didn't add up. Why were the kidnappers so intent on getting Vivian out to Australia and away from the mess? It's not like one girl was going to impose any real threat on them. Already the kidnappers had proven their power and intelligence. They had snuck in their man Reg, the 'double agent', right under her nose, and they had always stayed one step ahead of their every move. The kidnappers had enough resources to afford plane tickets, and had even found out Alice's mothers address. Damn.

The only possible explanation for the reason they wanted Vivian out of the way was so the brothers would feel vulnerable. Exposed.

Alone.

But they failed. Vivian was still by the brothers' side and the kidnappers had no idea. That was the one single advantage she held against them.

...

The first step was money withdrawal. Vivian rented a car which she drove herself, with the two brothers in the backseat, and weaved her way through the traffic to park it across the bank. Laurent grabbed the empty suitcase from the boot, which they had bought just an hour ago from a cheap dingy store. They had made a point of choosing the cheapest bag they could find as a way to insult the kidnappers when handing them the money. Vivian had rolled her eyes at their childishness when they had found one; Larry and Laurent had snickered evilly while imagining the kidnappers reaction when this ugly bag was tossed at his face. Seriously.

Laurent blew the dust off the stale, moth-eaten bag before heading inside the large bank which held an aura of prestige and class. Larry and Vivian stayed in the car. An uncomfortable silence engulfed them, with the occasional sounds of traffic dulled by the thick glass windows of the car they were in.

"Vivi, I'm so sorry" he mumbled, slicing through the silence. The innocence and guilt in his voice were slender fingers that plucked at her heartstrings. She pressed her lips in a thin line and furrowed her brows, trying to keep her emotions at bay. She thanked her lucky stars that he was in the backseat and that he couldn't see her face.

"I should not have say that I want you back..." he continued, looking at her honey eyes through the front mirror. "But that the truth. I love you."

Vivian clenched the steering wheel until her knuckles turned white. Her heart beat elevated, in turn making her breathing erratic. Her stomach clenched in anger yet at the same time her heart blossomed into a thousand panicky butterflies that fluttered around in her chest. She gritted her teeth, forcing her mind to retrieve images of Laurent, but when that didn't work she tried to mull her brain into a numbness.

She was with Laurent, she kept reminding herself. Yet her subconscious lingered onto her memories of him, reminding her that not once had Lau ever told her he loved her the way Larry just had.

Closing her eyes shut, she forcefully stowed away her emotions at the back of her mind.

"We have a mission Larry. Stay focused on that" she droned, almost robotically. In that instance through the mirror, she saw his hope-filled eyes drain away as he melted into the seat, and felt her heart shatter into tiny pieces.