Chapter One

I wake up on the cold hard cement floor. The dank air makes my hair go flat. I sit on the cold floor and bring me knees up to my chest and lightly hug them. I haven’t seen sunlight in forever, just the little light that comes from the tiny window.

I hear screaming, like I do everyday at this time. Poor girl. She was beautiful. Blonde hair, blue eyes, skinny, and tall all the traits of the girls the men kidnap. Then there’s me with the bright red hair, electric green eyes, and short.

Suddenly the cellar door flies open and the man drops another girl in front of me. She’s breathing heavy, obviously from running. Tears are streaming down her face and blood trickles from her eyebrow.

Once the man goes back up the stairs the girl meets eyes with me. “Where are we?” she asks. “I don’t know.” I say. “What are they going to do to us?’’ she whispers. “Well, let me just say to you that you need to pray. Pray to your parents, friends, family, everyone you love. You won’t make it out of here.” I say trying to sound sympathetic. “Is that why I saw blood on the floor?” she asks. “Yeah, they’ve been killing girls everyday.” I say. “How come you’re not dead?” she asks. “I don’t know. Guess I’m not their type. They’ve been killing girls that look like you.” I say.

I sit in silence and so does she. I take my iPhone out of my pocket. I’ve had it since they took me. They’ve had me for exactly 3 years. I’m 22 now. I open my camera roll and scroll through the 1095 photos, all of the girls who have been kidnapped. “Can I get your picture?” I ask. She turns toward me but doesn’t smile. I take the picture. “Can I ask your name?” I ask. “Callie Montgomery.” She says. “Nice to meet you Callie. I’m Melanie Peterson.” I say. I write down her name on the notepad on my iPhone. “Why don’t you call someone?” Callie asks. “No signal.” I say. We sit there in silence and the cellar door opens. “Be Brave Callie!” I whisper. She's pulled up by her hair and drug up the stairs. 10 minutes later I hear screaming. I pray, “Let Callie be safe in heaven.” I lie on the cold floor and fall asleep.