Chapter Twenty - One

Josh slips his hand into mine and all I want to do is entwine our fingers but my body won't let me. He takes a deep breath and begins to talk. "Melanie, the day after you were taken from New York I went to New York. I searched for you for a year. I couldn't think of life without you beside me. I know we have never dated. But man do I want to. I've known you since we were two years old and we were neighbors. We grew up together. I helped you through all you hard breakups even though I just wanted to fill the void in your heart with mine. We did everything together. We may have fought once or twice but we always made up. Now, seeing you like this just makes me think I've lost all my chances at loving you. You've been through hell. Your parents and family were ripped away from you. Now, you are laying here in a coma. Dying slowly, but aren't we all dying slowly. So many people have betrayed you or are betraying you now. But just know deep down inside that I will never betray you. You have always been my first love, I may have had my share of girlfriends but that was my way of trying to make you jealous, guess it didn't work. Even if you don't feel the same way, just know I have always loved you and I always will!"

He's always loved me? I feel the same way! What does he mean by I'm being betrayed now? I mean he's never liked Victoria but he understands why we are best friends. I feel the tears hit my hand as he starts to cry. All I want to do is wipe the tears from his eyes and kiss him. I'm trying so hard to wake up, to talk, to kiss him, hug him, and entwine our fingers. I'm trying as hard as I can and something in my body clicks when I feel my fingers entwine with his. My mind somehow takes over my body and my fingers find the perfect spot, Josh's fingers.