Chapter Ten

By 7 am I'm done with another painting.  This one of the last thing I saw before I blacked out and found myself in a cellar. It's of a black Porsche. I guess that's the car that took me to Florida.

I go to the bathroom to wash my hands and josh wakes up. "You okay?" He asks. "Yeah, just washing my hands from my last painting." I say pointing to the wet canvas. "A black Porsche?" He asks sitting up and yawning. "It was the last thing I saw before waking up in that cellar." I say. "Oh. You want breakfast?" He asks getting up and stretching. "I'll just have coffee if that's okay." I say. "Yeah let's go!" Josh says.

We get to the kitchen and Michelle and Chris are sitting at the island. "Morning! Sleep well?" Michelle asks. "I'm sure you heard me screaming." I say. "She's been having nightmares. I've been helping her." Josh adds. "Aw well Mel you know if you need anything we are here for you!" Chris states. "Thank you!" I say.

I grab a cup of coffee and josh does as well. We head into the living room and turn the TV on. The local news is on and they are talking about a story called 'Disappearance in Union'. Josh grabs the remote to change it. "No, I want to watch it. See of they found anything out." I say. "Well local Melanie Peterson was found a few days ago and she is back in Union. But everyone is still wondering why she was kidnapped and if she is safe or not. Also people want to know who was in charge of this heinous crime." The reporter states. They keep talking but I just tune it out.

My phone ringing breaks me out of my trance. I look at the caller id and see its Jake, the guy who found me. "Hello Jake." I say. "Hi Melanie. Are you doing alright?" He asks. "Yes I'm fine. I've moved in with my friends." I say. "That's good. You are probably wondering why I called." He says. "Yeah I was." I say. "Well I'm going to call you every few weeks to make sure you are safe." He says. "Well Jake I'm grateful for your call but you live in Florida, I live in Kentucky. You calling really doesn't help. Plus my friends will keep my plenty safe." I say. "I've transferred, I'm living in Kentucky now. I live a few doors down from you." He says. "What?" I say. "Yeah. Now I can make sure that you are safe." He says. "Thanks Jake, I've got to go." I say hanging up. "Who's Jake?" Josh asks. "He's the police officer that found me." I say. "Oh, ok. I'm going to get in the shower." Josh says getting up.