Chapter 12

<Katy POV>

I plopped down on the front steps and buried my head in my hands. What had I just done? All I had to do was tell her and I didn't. I just wanted to avoid scaring her and upsetting her. I wanted to protect her...but I didn't. I failed. Just like I feared I would. Tears were falling from my eyes and landing on the concrete below me, "Oh Grace. I'm sorry. So so sorry." The stream of tears turned into a gushing river. I felt a gentle hand on my back and looked up. Shannon sat beside me rubbing her hand over my back to calm me down, "Shh, it's okay. Give her some space and allow her to cool down. She'll be back later and then you can work it out. Okay?" I hiccupped and leaned into her, "Okay." "In the mean time we need to unload everything. Alright?" "Kay." She helped me up and we began taking the groceries into the house in silence.

<Grace POV>

Why does she think I'm not old enough to deal with this? Or mature enough to handle it? Ugh. My parents didn't even know I was going over there, I just said that as a reason to escape. It probably hurt her more than I intended it to... I sighed then called my mom, she picked up after the third ring.

"Grace! Hi sweetheart! How are you? I haven't heard from you in a few days." Her voice immediately caused me to relax, "I'm good. How are you and Dad?" "We're good! We miss you like crazy!" "I miss you guys too. I'm actually on my way over to see you guys, you're at home right?" Her tone of voice became concerned, "Yes. Are you and Katy alright?" I didn't want to upset her so I lied, "Yeah we're fine! I just wanted to come visit and maybe eat dinner with you guys. If that's okay?" "Of course Grace! Are tacos okay?" "Sounds perfect. I'll see you in a few minutes Mom. Love you." "Love you too baby girl."

----------

Dinner with my parents was exactly what I needed. We joked and laughed like I hadn't been gone for a week living with my actual mother. I was content and almost forgot about the situation with Katy--almost. Until my mom brought her up, "So Grace, how's everything with Katy?" I finished swallowing the ice cream I'd put in my mouth and nodded slowly, "Good. Pretty good. It feels natural most of the time. We're still figuring things out. Sometimes it's awkward, like when I have to educate her on all of my friends and stuff like that; other times it's like she's always known me. We're freakishly similar which is also weird..." Both of my parents laughed then my dad asked the most random question of the night, "Have you learned anything about your--erm--father?" I coughed to cover up the surprise in my voice, "Uh-no. I haven't really asked about him. I'm sure Katy would tell me everything she knows. But no. I don't think I'm ready for that quite yet... all of this has been a big enough surprise. I don't know what I'd do if I found out my biological father is Brad Pitt!" I added the last part to relieve some of the nervous tension that had grown after my dad's question; it worked. We went back to small talk which was interrupted when I felt my phone vibrating in my back pocket. I frowned at the unfamiliar number, "I'll be right back." Both of them nodded as I went to take the call.

"Hello? Who's this?" "Hey Grace, it's Shannon. Sorry to interrupt anything. I just left the house and Katy is trying to give you space and let you calm down but she's really worried. I know you're probably wondering why I'm telling you-" I interrupted, "Yeah I am. Why can't she just call?"

Shannon took a moment before answering, "Because she's scared. She's terrified that she screwed all of this up by not trusting you. And she's probably asleep right now. She exhausted herself crying the whole time after you left. Or she's still awake and crying. Now I'm not trying to guilt trip you or anything because it's not my place to get in the middle of this. But please see this from her perspective? She wanted to shield you and protect you; she hasn't been able to for the past 16 years and this is her making up for it. She loves you Grace, more than anyone and anything. I'm sure you know that." "Yeah, I do." Every time she looks at me it's obvious, so obvious. "Good. Well, I'll let you go Gray. See you later kiddo." "Thanks Shannon." "Anytime."