Ghost - An Avengers Fanfiction

'Hi there! I'm RubyWolf, and this is my first story on Wattpad! I am a huge fan of superhero movies, especially Marvel. This story has been playing about in my head ever since I saw the Avengers movie, but due to my computer deciding to wipe its files a few months ago, the few chapters I had written were gone forever (I know, I should've saved everything somewhere else). I have finally decided to write my story again. I can't really promise regular updates because of school and work and all that 'fun' stuff, but I shall try my hardest :)

Of course, I do not own any of the Marvel characters. I am sorry if they aren't consistent with the comics or movies, but this is my interpretation of them.

Additionally, this story is set about 6 months after the Avengers movie, and it ignores the movies that have come out since then, purely because I came up with this story before the newer movies came out, and I found it hard to incorporate the different plots from those movies into this story. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!
-RubyWolf'

p.s. I've dedicated this first chapter to my dear friend Teddypuff, who is amazing and funny and someone who really supports me and my craziness. She was one of the people who really  pushed me to start writing on wattpad, so thank you! :)
==============================

The silence in the dark room was pierced by a hysteric scream. A dark haired girl bolted up from the bed, her hands balled into fists and her eyes opened wide in terror. The boards nailed over the window allowed small patches of moonlight into the shadowy room, making the beads of sweat on her face glisten. She closed her eyes and breathed in deeply, letting her hands relax as she did. She slid back so she was sitting with her back to the wall behind her, her head resting against the peeling paper and her knees pulled up to her chest. She could feel the pounding of her heart through her whole body. She knew this was going to be another long night.

========================================================================================================================

"Agent Barton?" A quiet, yet firm voice called. Clint looked up from the computer to the door, where a young blonde woman, dressed in a dark blue S.H.I.E.L.D. uniform, was standing. He nodded in acknowledgement and she walked in, placing a file on his desk. "Here's the witness report from the last robbery. Also, the Director wants to see you." she turned briskly and walked out of the office, the door sliding shut behind her. Clint groaned to himself. This had been a long assignment, and he didn't feel like he was getting anywhere. He only really had an idea of where to go from here, and now the Director wanted to know his plan. Clint jumped to his feet and walked out the door, making his way through the familiar tangle of corridors of the helicarrier until he was standing outside the Director's door. He placed his palm against a glass panel beside the door, the cool surface warming up as it identified his prints. The door slid open and Clint stepped inside.

"Director Fury. You wanted to see me, sir?" The Director was standing in a dark room with large screens covering one of the walls. Each screen had a different image on it, some still shots and others were clips taken from security footage. Every screen had the same figure in it, dressed all in black.

"I want to know where you are with this Ghost case." The Director's deep voice echoed slightly in the large room. Clint stepped up so he was beside Fury.

"I have an idea of where the Ghost will go next, but it isn't certain." The Director turned to look at Clint, clearly unimpressed.

"You've had this assignment for nearly three months, Barton. And you're telling me that you only have an idea?" Clint breathed in deeply before answering.

"Sir, these robberies appeared to be random, but I believe I know where the Ghost will go next. I have a plan." The Director nodded in approval.

"Do anything it takes. This has gone on long enough. When I get back from Washington, I expect this to be resolved." He said with a dismissive tone.

Clint nodded, "Yes sir." he then turned and walked out, his mind whirring as he put a plan together to catch the Ghost.

==========================================================================================

"Hey Legolas! What's up?" Tony Stark's voice was cheerful on the other end of the phone. Clint leant back in his chair and put his feet up on the edge of the desk.

"Stark, I need to ask a favour." Clint smiled. He knew what would be going through Tony's head.

"Need help picking up a girl? Or maybe you want to take one on a romantic getaway. I would recommend Paris, that's where I take Pepper when she gets mad at me, it always calms her right down. She also likes Rome. Don't go to Venice, last time I took a girl there, she fell into the water. That kinda dampened the mood. Or you could go to-" Clint shook his head in amusement before interrupting Tony's babble.

"This is work - related, Tony. Do you know about the robbery that happened two nights ago?" Clint swiped his hand across the screen in front of him, pulling up a security video of the robbery.

"Yeah, that was that Ghost Thief, wasn't it? Are you trying to catch him? What do you need me to do?" Tony's voice became more excited as he talked, making Clint shake his head slightly and smile.

"I need you to go out for a night."

==========================================================================================

"You ready yet Pepper? We'll be late!" Tony stood at the elevator, dressed in a stylish new suit and staring at his watch. Pepper appeared from the hallway, dressed in an elegant black dress with her hair done up in a classic style. She leant against the wall as she slid her high heels on, her purse in her hand. She sighed patiently.

"Don't complain Tony, I'm nearly ready." Tony smirked as Pepper rummaged through her purse, checking she had everything she would need for a night out. Tony leant his back against the wall, his arms folded as he watched her get ready.

"And you always say I take too long to get ready!" he murmured in amusement.

Pepper's head snapped up and she narrowed her eyes at Tony, "You do take too long! The only reason I'm not ready is because you hogged the shower!" Tony walked over to Pepper and put his arms around her waist, his chin resting on her shoulder and a suggestive smile on his lips.

"You could've hopped in with me." he said smoothly. Pepper smiled as her cheeks blushed a deep shade of red, before she pulled herself out of Tony's arms.

"Come on, we really will be late if we don't go now." she replied, still smiling. She walked toward the elevator and stepped inside, quickly followed by a grinning Tony. The doors of the elevator closed and the lights went out, leaving the penthouse empty.

A dark figure crouched down on the roof of the building, dressed in a bulky black hooded leather jacket, black loose fitting jeans and heavy steel cap boots. The figure pulled the hood up as protection against the howling wind that was racing around the skyscrapers. The sky was dark with black rainclouds, and a distant boom of thunder shook the air. The figure watched as the lights in the penthouse went out, leaving the top of the building in almost darkness. The word 'STARK' was written in large, bright letters, the artificial light glowing garishly. The figure remained crouched for a few minutes more, waiting to see if anyone was going to return to the penthouse, then slowly rose and pulled a black bandana up over their face as the first few drops of rain fell onto the city. Then the figure vanished.