Chapter 12

There was another terrible roar, but this time it wasn’t the Hulk. In his earpiece, Clint could hear Director Fury screaming order after order to different agents. “Barton! Secure the girl, then get to Hanger 3!” Fury ordered through the earpiece, before turning his attention to the matter at hand. “Agent Larson!” Clint yelled just as the wide-eyed young agent scrambled through the door. “S-sss-sir, the Hu…” the young man stuttered, but he was interrupted by Clint stepping up to him. “The girl doesn’t need to know about the situation. I want you to cuff her to yourself with an Ironband and take her to the other end of the ship. If the situation isn’t contained, take a Quinjet off the Helicarrier and get to one of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s bases. She is to be cuffed by an Ironband at all times. Am I clear?” he murmured firmly to the young agent. “Yes, sir.” Larson nodded, having pulled himself together. Another explosion shook the Helicarrier, followed by an ear-splitting roar. Clint spun around to face Sophie, who was still sitting on the medical bed. He expected her to be scared, or at the very least look worried by the increasing sounds of battle echoing through the Helicarrier, but she was simply watching the two agents warily, her back a little straighter than before. “There’s just an issue with one of the engines. Agent Larson is going to take you to a different part of the ship until repairs can be made.” Clint stated matter-of-factly, before turning to leave.

“Agent Barton!” Sophie called, making him turn. He looked at her expectantly, eager to leave as the roaring of the Hulk got louder. Sophie hesitated, a look of uncertainty flashing across her eyes, before being replaced by a silent resolution. She locked onto Clint’s eyes with her own, the intensity unsettling Clint slightly. “I can get Doctor Banner off of the ship.” She said quietly. Clint frowned, and stepped closer so he was standing directly in front of Sophie. She kept her gaze on his eyes as he studied hers. “What did you say?” he asked, his voice a little colder than he meant it to sound. Sophie raised her cuffed hand slightly, “If you take this off me, then I can help. I can teleport Doctor Banner off this ship.” Sophie stated carefully. Clint shook his head, scoffing. “Of course! A minute ago you said you would be gone as soon as you got a chance, and now you’re saying you can help as long as I remove the Ironband. Don’t treat me like an idiot.” Clint hissed. Sophie glared at him, then shook her head. “I know how this looks, but I promise you, I can help. I know the damage Doctor Banner can do when he’s like this. He’ll tear this place apart, and kill everyone here, unless you let me help. Just take off this cuff and I’ll get him out of here.” Clint was surprised at the urgency in Sophie’s voice, and the sudden change in her eyes. She looked at him with a hint of hope in her eyes. Whether it was hope that he would take the Ironband off so she could escape, or hope that he would trust her to help, Clint wasn’t sure, but it was in that second that he decided to trust that the young girl in front of him could help.

“Alright,” he sighed, “follow me.” He quickly swiped his finger across the Ironband, with the metal heating slightly as the computer within the band recognised his fingerprint. He then turned to the computer screen behind him and tapped in a password. He could hear the Ironband drop to the floor behind him, and turned just in time to see Sophie give him a quick glance as she disappeared. Clint felt his stomach drop as he stared at the empty space where the girl had been a second before. She had left. Clint mentally scolded himself. It was stupid to believe she would stay! She had even told him she would leave the second she could. “Barton! Where the hell are you?” Fury’s angry voice startled Clint back into action. “On my way, sir.” He answered quickly, before turning and racing out of the room, Larson following close behind. Clint’s mind was running at a million miles an hour as he raced toward the armoury. Sophie was right; the Hulk would kill every agent on the Helicarrier if they couldn’t stop him, and from what Natasha had told him of the Hulk’s last visit to the Helicarrier, stopping him would be nearly impossible. In fact, the only reason they had been saved the first time was because they had managed to get the Hulk off of the ship. That was why, when Sophie had said she could get Banner away, Clint had hoped she was right. That hope disappeared the moment Sophie did. Clint and Larson reached the armoury in record time, sliding to a stop outside the door. Clint grabbed his bow and quiver with his specialised arrowheads, while Larson opted for a second gun. They then both ran to Hanger 3, Larson puffing slightly as they skidded to a halt outside the entrance. Inside the Hanger, Clint could hear the Hulk’s roars, along with the sounds of gunshots and agents yelling. This was interrupted by an explosion and the sound of metal screeching against metal. Clint and Larson both pulled their guns from their leg holsters before entering the chaos.