War - Chapter 3

"Why did you bring her here man?" We hadn't even sat down and already one of his friends who I recognised to be Leon was complaining and quite loudly too. He was going to draw in more attention than I could possible handle from those nosy busy bodies who loitered the common room tables. They would start the game of Chinese whispers and before you know it the college would all hear about my social demise. I knew coming here would be a bad idea. Jermaine already knew how much I hated attention yet dragged me to one of the most intimidating spots in this college where millions of wandering eyes followed your every move, scrutinising every last detail of you from your hair to your shoes.

There was about 12 people seated around this table that could only contain 8. I had seen most of their faces around college and I didn't have the most pleasant run ins with them. I didn't recognise a few but hopefully they weren't as bad as the ones I knew.. I'd only be fooling myself - because you are the company you keep. I was hoping they wouldn't follow Leon's lead and embarrass me further, I'd happily leave if it would spare me getting my feelings battered. They probably wouldn't even allow me that option, I'd excuse myself and still receive facetious comments on why I even bothered coming here. I gripped on to Jermaine's hand tighter as my anxiety began to kick in; he drew small circles on the back of my hand in response knowing it would calm me just a little.

"Bruv this will be the last time I say this," I looked up to see Jermaine clenching his jaw with a crazed look in his eyes and something stirred within me, the tensing of his facial muscles really brought out his beautifully chiselled structure. This was the wrong time to be admiring him but he looked so good right now. "Don't ever fix your mouth to speak about her, do you understand?"

"What I'm tryna understand is why you always fend for her when we're your real Gs," Rachel poked her head out of the crowded table stroking her flowing Brazilian weave. I never understood the relationship they had, they hardly ever spoke yet Rachel had a growing obsession with Jermaine yet had a strong hatred for me.

"Who's your G b? It was only ever about that mouth and you entertaining the roast, don't ever get too comfortable with me Rachel," The details of their private affairs echoed vehemently as a deadly silence crept through the room. Looks of disbelief and shock masked the faces of our growing audience and just like that, hushed whispers started up amongst themselves with their eyes still fixated on the theatrics taking place right in front of them. It was no secret that Rachel had a boyfriend who also attended this college, Harold a 2nd year who preferred to keep his head in his books. No one knew how Rachel and Harold had gotten together, they were two polar opposites and in my opinion he could do better. She was a wild girl who was extremely loud and unnecessarily rude. I wouldn't deny her beauty though, everyone could see it from a mile away. She was mixed, although the countries she claimed to come from kept alternating each month so no one was really sure. Layla told me she had met Rachel's mother on countless occasions and told me she was Ghanaian while her father was Italian. Her skin was more on the brown side and held a glow to it. Her body wasn't all that but her face definitely made up for it.

The shocked expressions quickly returned back to neutral and the whispers ceased as everyone anticipated what would happen next, including myself. Jermaine had never disclosed anything of this kind to me even though we promised to never hide anything from each other. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, there was so many feelings rushing through me, hurt, betrayal.. Jealousy? He shot me a quick look, guilt evident in his expression but I refused to lock eyes with him. My focus remained on my dirty and tattered shoes that should have long been disposed of. It was only a matter of time before the soles would wear off.

"That was low Jermaine," Maria spoke up, she was Rachel's left hand girl, not much of a follower from what I could tell. She was very pretty and looked like someone straight out of a runway show, everyone saw her as the black barbie. She fit the description, with her tall and slender frame and smooth mocha complexion that spread evenly across her body. Her natural hair was cut into a short bob that framed her heart shaped face, it was the talk of the girls at college when she got it done because it was 'risky'. It suited her though; I don't think there was a hair style that didn't suit her. Just like Rachel she wasn't a very nice person, her cockiness exceeded past her looks in my opinion.