Taste dust and memories

Slipping away into her mind she began to remember what it was like to be home. To fly across the rocks and sand as she would make her way down to the water. The water. Even saying it in her mind was like adding hot sticky syrup to a dry burnt up waffle.
She remembered what it was like to feel the first waves dance across her toes as if the water were saying "hello child." Except she wasn't a child anymore. And who knew if the salty cool liquid would ever entrance her again. It's wholeness, it's silence and vulnerability. It's motherly instinct to carry her to its breast, into its arms farther and farther away from shore.

It wanted to hold her but never as much and she wanted to be held by it. She wanted to breathe in its strength and salt. She needed to glide through its depths and taste its purity. Feel the water seethe into her gills. In and out. In and out. An escape of sorts. She wished she could push its deadly yet sensual aura behind her as she would flow through it with ease. She could yield its magnificence. She could understand its moods and tides. Only she could capture its thoughts and translate them to words. Only she could speak to the creatures that lurked and thrived within.
But they probably aren't thriving anymore. Most of them were just like her but now, washed up. Haggard. Shriveled. Wrinkled. Scalding. Sore. Drained beyond any sense. She would never be there again. Instead she would lay in the dust to rot and fade away into nothingness.
Just like she was doing now, heavy breasted and fatigued. Lips cracked. Mangled limbs. Aged and gaunt. Lacking in every effort to stand or even rise a mere few inches from the sandy earth.
She was rooted to a ground which could not yield a single plant. Dark hazes circled her once glimmering eyes. No voice left to strain. No soul left to salvage. She managed a weak smirk at her present debacle. How one so immensely volatile and just bubbling with power could wind up breathing her last amidst a land contrary to the tides.
She couldn't remember how exactly she happened upon the place really, and felt like laughing at herself for that. But time to ponder her untimely death was a sure waste as she felt astray. Distant to the pain. Her body a mass of numb weight dispersing. It was pleasant, she thought. If death was like this all along, she wondered why she was so afraid of it in the first place. Now she could leave everything behind. So easy it was now. To whisk away a world upon which was built by her own scaled hands. From which she sat beneath a veil of illumination as her throne rose to the skies. As her dearest friend guided her and smiled at her, with his goofy grin she was ever so fond of. If she had not started to drift away from sanity then she might've admitted her love for him.
But she was drifting and her breaths slowed until every last once of energy was used to peer up at the looming clouds before it all faded.