Try-Outs

"Girlfriend?" Even I can't believe it.

"I see," Jack tells him in a friendly voice, "she still hasn't told anyone! No wonder you look so confuse."

Fang glares at me, "how come you never told me about this? When have this even happen?"

"Halloween," Jack answers for me. "We've met during spring by being pen pals so we decided to finally meet in person on Halloween. I guess the reason why she didn't tell anyone is because she was too shy and others might judge." If Jack really knows me, he knows that story might not work on –

"Is that why you were rushing home all the time?" Fang ask me.

"I – uh, yeah," I say fast.

How would Jack know that?

"You could have told me, I would've judged you." He lets out a sigh, "but that doesn't explain what you're doing here."

"I need to go home," Jack tell us, "It's getting late and my parents might start to worry." He gives me a quick hug and kiss on the cheek, "I'll see you tomorrow." He heads to the door behind Fang and makes his exit.

"I guess we should leave too," Fang looks around. "You don't have to tell me now, but I still want to know why you are here. You're not the type to be lurking in school when it's closed."

In order not to lie, I respond with, "It's none of your business." I turn my head.

"Hmph! whatever, let's get out of here."

It doesn't take me a second to not know that he knows I am lying. I really suck.

{ . . . }

"What the heck were you saying?" I ask Jack, who floats upside-down in midair of the empty, white room. I – on the other hand – am trapped in a clear box with water filling it up slowly. Now, it's reaching my ankles.

"And miss that priceless expression on his face?" Jack laughs, "I don't even understand why he's so angry about it. You're a big girl now."

"But you should have come up with something else! Now he's going to think that something is up!"

"Your whining is unacceptable, be glad I came up with something I can pull off easily, sow. Just do not forget what I've said to him or you'll be the one in trouble."

"I don't think I'll be able to forget this."

"Just like the bite on your neck?"

Huh? I place my palm on the side of my neck but did not feel anything there. Awe man! I really did forget that there was a mark there. I only protected my arms! Well, no one seems to notice it I don't think.

"People did notice," Jack says, "you were just too dimwitted to notice anyone."

"Then why didn't you –"

Jack lands both feet on the ground and say, "you're going to try out for basketball."

"What?" I can feel the water reaching the end of my knees. Is this water getting warmer?

"You'll say you wanted to try something new since this is your last year in school, no one will go against it."

"But I don't really like basketball."

"Your whining will not change the matter; you will still try out regardless."

"Why can't you try out yourself? Why me?"

"Your questions are annoying me once again. I suggest you stop asking any more unnecessary questions or the water will begin to boil."

"WHAT!" So I'm not imagining it. The water becomes warmer than before, but the amount begins to pour slower.