Bite Me

"J... Jack? Is that really you?" I stare down at the boy who has a grin similar to Jack's.

No, this can't be right.

I must be imagining things.

"How long are you going to stare at me like that?" He says in disgust. He drops his grin, giving me a dirty look.

"I'm - I'm sorry, but I thought... you... were -"

"Imaginary?" He finishes? "This isn't the first someone has thought that, if you wish to know. It's not rare for me to come to this world either." He finishes the rest of the pixie stick and throws the paper on the ground. "As for the mess that they are cleaning up, you do know that people died here, right?" I nod slowly. Doesn't he know that I know? "So your memory isn't swept away like the others. I guess that man played his part well." I stare at him in confusion.

Does this mean that the whole accident was a setup?

I think it's best not to ask.

"For the deaths," I look back over at the field, "does that mean someone like you did all of this?"

"I don't know," he sounds happy at my question, "I never would have thought the others would come up here to fiddle with human lives. Especially when it comes to something big as this, but that doesn't mean a human cannot be responsible as well."

"What do you mean?" I look down at him.

"Think about it... humans believe they can do anything if they try, and something like this can be done by a human."

"But how? Humans just don't explode like that!"

“How of course?” He turns the other way, “oh, the next time we meet, you better have more of that candy.” He walks away.

“Wait! Jack! Isn't there anything else I should know?” He doesn't respond and keeps walking.

I sigh and turn to make my way back home too. I guess asking questions like that will increase my price too.

My phone begins to ring through my hoodie pocket and I grab it to see who it is.

It's Mona.

“Hello?” I answer it.

“Oh, so I guess texting you isn't good enough, right?” She sounds irritated.

“What are you talking about?” I ask, a little confused.

“Don't 'what are you talking about' me! I text you a gazillion times and not once have you responded back!”

“I'm sorry, I'm busy with shopping. Um, what's up?”

“Gah! This is why you should read my texts! Come over here now so I can tell you!” She hangs up the phone. I look at my phone's screen and see that I only missed five text messages from her. When I viewed the messages, they only read, “COME OVER NOW!!! IMPORTANT!”

****

“I can't believe you! Either you've got yourself a boyfriend missy, or you finally told yourself that you will no longer be friends with me! Me! Do you know what you have to say to that?”

“Can I come in?” I ask, a bit confuse still.

She sighs, “fine, I let this one go just once.” She opens her front door wider and moves inside. I come in, welcoming the warmth from her house. She shuts the door and says, “now I would offer you a drink or something, but what I need to tell you is too important for all that right now.”

“Um, okay?”

“Ew. Stop sounding so slow! Now come here!” She walks into the living room and plops herself in the brown loveseat. “You have a lot of explaining to do.”