Chapter 9

“Happy birthday!”

“Thanks guys!” The smile on my face can not compete with their grins. All day they had kept quiet but as soon as the last bell rang I was attacked at my locker. Literally I was shoved into the lockers and shaken while being screamed at that it’s my birthday. Yay me.

“Are you ready for tonight?” asks Chase.

“Not really. I'm scared for what you guys have planned.”

“Well don’t be. It’s going to be great!”

They push me out the schools doors and lead me to Chase’s car. We car pooled this morning so it all works out. No extra cars to come back for.

They insist on covering my eyes so I am even more surprised and then we drive for what seems like forever but is really only an hour.

The blindfold is annoying me and I can't see anything but that’s the whole point.

“Okay we’re here.” I rip the cloth off and press my face to the cold glass window. Its dark because of day light savings and I love it.

We are at a haunted piece of farm land that has been transformed to entertain people with a haunted house, hay ride and corn maze. I start bouncing in my seat with a huge grin on my face. I absolutely love haunted houses and haunted hay rides just not scary movies. Its weird I know.

Chase parks the car and I am the first one out.

“Ready?” asks Andrew.

“Let’s go let’s go let’s go!” I snatch Jocelyns’ and Velvets’ hand and drag them behind me to the ticket booth.

Since it’s my birthday my friends paid for my ticket into the haunted house and the hay ride. I don’t like corn mazes.

“After this we’ll go find somewhere to have dinner.” says Chase.

We head over to wait in line to enter the house. There is a slight nip to the air and I am really regretting only wearing a tank top today.

“You cold?” Chase asks as he shrugs out of his jacket. He drapes it around my shoulders and I smile up at him.

“Thanks.”

“No problem birthday girl.”

We wait 40 minutes to go in and I chose to go first but I tightly grip Jocelyn’s hand behind me.

As things and people pop out at me and get in my face I scream and laugh in variation.

Next is the haunted hay ride. We load onto the tractor bed and sit on the hay. I am between Andrew and Velvet. Chase is really scared so he chose to sit on the bale in the middle, away from the sides. We all talk about mindless chatter on our way through it.

Somebody jumps on the railing behind me and I scream when he leans into my face. He has a scary as poo mask on and I about pee myself. That’s a pretty good reaction compared to Chase’s. He is hiding his eyes and has his knees tucked up against his chest.

The guy behind me climbs over and gets up in Chase’s space. Chase just cowers away some more and the guy gives up and moves to scare some other lady. I go sit by him and pat him on the back.

“He’s gone you can look up.”

“Why am I so scared on hay rides but not in haunted houses or scary movies?”

“I don’t know. That’s a good question.” He wraps his arms around my waist and buries his face into my neck. We say like that until the ride is over and you can tell that Chase can not get away fast enough.

We file into his SUV and make our way back home.

“I had fun thanks guys.”

There is a variety of that’s good and glad you did. I lean my head against the door and close my eyes. The car ride is silent. Next thing I know, I am being shaken awake outside of Ihop. I groan and fall out of the open door into the arms of Andrew.

“Come on I'm hungry.” Jocelyn waves us over right before she goes inside.

Andrew pulls me inside and over to the table that the girls and Chase are sitting at. We all order juice of some sort and I order strawberry crepes. Yum! I don’t pay attention to what the others order. It’s late and I feel like a zombie. They talk about stuff and I just listen. I think my birthday was a successful one this year. I got a hundred dollars in the mail from my grandma and 50 from my aunt. My older brother sent a pair of boots that I told him about and my parents gave me a gift card of 100 dollars to my favorite store. My friends have given me a wonderful surprise birthday and I am so thankful for them but right now I just want to sleep.

Our food comes and we all devour it like we haven’t eaten in days. That’s what a busy day does to you.

I get home around midnight and pass out in my bed without even taking my shoes off. See you in the morning world.

sorry this was such a short chapter. and I think it's a little funny how I always end my chapters with her going to bed. oh well it leaves things wrapped and tied with a cute little bow. please comment and vote and share. I hope you like my story.