Chapter 18

“Grandma Blue!” I smile largely and hug my grandma as she walks through the door. My Uncle Tom and aunt May come in after her with their 4 kids running around in the yard. I greet them just before my mom does. These are her side of the family. My Uncle Tom is her brother and grandma Blue is her mom. Grandma lives close by Tom and May so she came down with them instead of driving on her own. My dad comes out from his study to say hi too.

“Tom, May.” He greets formally. My mom gushes over May and leads her into the kitchen. Tom and my dad have a secret non-verbal language that passes between them and then they too are gone back into my dads’ study.

“How have you been dear?” asks my grandma in an empty monotone voice.

“I've been doing fine. Stressed a little but fine for the most part.”

“That’s good. I'm going to go see what your mother is doing. Let us know when Rachel gets here.” She blows past me without another glance and bustles into the kitchen. Rachel is my mom’s youngest sister. Tom and May’s kids storm into the house, making themselves comfortable in front of the TV.

I linger in the room a moment more before making my way upstairs to find Troy. He hasn’t come down at all since we woke up. I had to set the table by myself, not that it wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle.

“Troy?” I hear talking from the other side of my bedroom door. I stop with my hand on the knob and listen.

“I know… well… if you’d just listen to me… no that’s not what I… I just… she has nothing to do with this… I don’t care what you think... no… I… yes but I…. won't you let me talk! Thank you! We just aren’t working out and I want to see other people. That’s it and we’re done. I'm sick of you cheating.” There was silence and a loud groan after a few moments. I started to creep away but I accidentally stepped on a creaky floor board and my door flew open.

“What are you doing?”

I mentally curse myself and turn around to face him. He doesn’t look angry necessarily, just surprised, with a hint of annoyance?

“I came up to get away from my family.”

“They’re here already?”

“Um yeah.”

“Why don’t you want to be with them?”

“They don’t like me very much.” He steps back from the door way and allows me access.

“Why don’t they like you?” I flop down on my bed and stare at the ceiling.

“Maybe it’s not that they don’t like me but I don’t like them. They are just too quiet and reserved and when my uncle drinks he gets mean. My grandma hardly acknowledges that I exist. I guess I just don’t have good relationships with them and maybe I'm just a spoiled brat. Whatever the problem is, I still don’t want to spend time with them.”

“At least your family is with you on holidays.”

“You’re with your parents all the time.”

“That’s what you think. The only holiday that I see my other family members on is the 4th of July. And my parents are off doing their own thing on the other holidays. My Thanksgiving dinner consists of pizza and soda. Martha gets all holidays off so I have to fend for myself.”

I want to say poor baby in a sarcastic tone but I don’t want to ruin this civil conversation we are having so I resort to, “I'm sorry.”

“But enough of this ‘my family sucks.’ Let’s talk about something else. Do you want to play 20 questions?” He sits against my head board next to me.

“Sure. Um, what is your favorite color?”

“Green. What is your favorite hobby?”

“Watching movies. Favorite food?”

“Chinese food. What about you?” I glare at him.

“That’s mine. We can't have something in common. Change your answer.” I cross my arms over my chest.

“You change yours. I answered first.”

“I bet I liked it first.”

“I was born first.”

“Well I didn’t grow up with a personal cook so I had a lot of takeout.”

“Doesn’t matter. We can have the same favorite food. The world isn’t going to explode.”

“It might.”

“Doubt it. Ask me another question.”

“How old were you when you started playing hockey?” I roll over so that I face him and prop myself up on my elbow.

“Ten. What’s your favorite sport?”

“To play or to watch?”

“To watch.”

“Football.”

“I bet I can change your mind.” I raise an eyebrow at him.

“We’ll see about that.”

“Come to our first game. It’s in two weeks.”

“Where’s it going to be at?”

“The school. At five. I can get you a ticket if you want.”

“You have to pay to see an amateur hockey game?” His hand flies to his chest.

“I'm offended! We are the best team around and I don’t have to pay but everyone else does.”

“How many people actually come?”

“The best of the high school students and college students play together… so a lot.”

“Then why is it at our school?”

“There only a few ice rinks and our school happen to have one. You make the connection.”

“Okay I'm lost. Who’s turn is it?”

“Yours.”

“How many times have you been to jail?”

“Less than you.”

“But I've only been there once.”

“Exactly.”

“Kids! It’s time for dinner!” My fathers voice booms up the stairs. My stomach growls in anticipation and I scramble up and out the door, rushing down the stairs and to the kitchen. I hear Troy slowly follow behind me. I find my family all sitting around the table and I take a seat. Troy looks awkward but sits next to me. We go around the table saying what we are thankful for and then everyone digs in while we say thanks to my mom. She just beams at how we enjoy ourselves.