Chapter 10

I hear my mother talking on the phone. She sounds frazzled. I part my eyes and squint at my alarm clock. It’s 9 in the morning.

“The house is a mess!” I hear my mom say. I'm confused. Whose house is a mess?

“I told Troy to clean it up and that I was going to tell you.”

Oh no! He is going to be so pissed at me thinking I told my mom about his party. I fall out of bed and trip down the stairs in my haste.

“How did you find out about his party?” I rush out. She holds the phone away from her.

“His mother asked me to go check on him. Did you know about this?”

“He invited me to go but I said no.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“It’s not my business. He is not my concern when I am out celebrating my birthday.”

“You’re right sorry.”

“It’s fine.” I get some orange juice out of the fridge and sit down at the table. My mom goes to another room to finish her conversation and then returns. She sits next to me.

“I forgot, good morning sweetie.”

“Morning.” I finish my glass and put it in the sink.

I waste my weekend worrying about Monday.

MONDAY

“Did you tell your mom about my party?” I get shoved into the locker. It’s between classes and I had to run out to get a notebook I forgot for history.

“Jeez I should just have a locker taped to my back with how much I'm pushed against them.”

“Did you! I got busted and now my parents are deciding my punishment. They said no more parties or else military school. Thanks a lot you little brat.”

“I didn’t say anything. Your mom asked mine to check in on you. I was out all night and woke up Saturday to my mom talking on the phone. I hadn’t told her or my dad shit okay. So just leave me alone.” I brush past him and hurry down the hall to my class. I can feel his glare the whole time. Weirdo.

AFTER SCHOOL

I walk in the house and trudge my way up the stairs. I had stayed late after school for an Honor Society meeting.

“Dinner’s ready!” My mothers shout carries through the house. So much for relaxing for a little while. I dump my bag and jacket on my desk chair and go down to the dinning room.

I notice an extra place setting when I sink into a chair. I look quizzically at my parents.

“Troy’s parents are extending their cruise and after hearing about his party they have asked that we watch him. He will be staying with us until they get back.” My mouth drops open.

“How long are they going to be gone?”

“A month all together so 2 additional weeks then what they originally planned.” My mother motions for me to close my mouth. I do.

“Where is he going to sleep?”

This is a three bedroom house but the extra one is being used as an office and storage. There is no room in there for a bed.

“He is going to sleep on a blow up mattress in your room. I expect you two to get along and not do anything naughty.”

“As if. He is so not my type mom. Chill.”

“It doesn’t matter. I want you to be nice to him.”

“Moooom” I whine. Just then the door bell rings. Great. Let the fun begin. Note the heavy sarcasm.

My mother goes to answer the door and I look to my father for help, pleading to him with my eyes.

“Daddy?”

“Sorry sweetheart. This was your mom’s idea. It won't kill you.”

“It’s just not fair.”

“And why’s that?”

“He’s mean to me.”

“How?” He looks slightly worried now.

“Never mind.” I decide not to tell him. My mother returns with Troy at her side and we eat in an awkward silence.