Chapter 28 - Let The Wind Take Us

OLIVIA

"Hey."

I whip around to find Robin behind me, the sunlight shining on his copper skin. Not now, not now.

"What?" I snap. In truth, he's just about the only person I want to talk to, but I don't want to be seen with him. Not with Bailey stalking around the ship, cackling to herself. 

"Nothing." He shrugs, glancing up at the clear sky. "You look really tense." 

I growl at the wind. Yea, I'm tense. What did he expect? That I'd be skipping around the ship with a big smile, throwing confetti on the deck hands?

"Is that all?" I don't look. I keep wrestling the helm as if he's not there at all. He puts a hand on my shoulder, demanding my attention.

"We're so close," Robin tells me. "It's going to be okay." 

That's ridiculous. When was the last time someone had said it's going okay to me? Probably Brett when I fell off the monkey bars in second grade.

"Livia," He sighs, wrapping his arms around my waist. Again, I don't respond, but I don't push him away either. "You're not going to give yourself up. We'll find another way."

Does he really believe that? He of all people should know I'm gonna do what I have to for the people I love. Handing myself over is my only choice..

"Whatever." I scowl, pulling away from his embrace. "Don't worry about me. Peter and Brett are the ones we should be concerned about."

He lets his hands fall to his sides. "If you say so, Captain." He plants a quick kiss on my cheek and walks away without another word.

The salt of the sea breeze clouds my vision like the sea god is chopping onions. I let a tear spill over on that excuse. Leaning over the helm, I glare at the clear blue sky, the surrounding calm waters. They're mocking me, I can tell. They're laughing. I can hear it in the wind.

I start to open my mouth, but I realize that there's no one to hear my but the sea and the sky, and they won't listen. True, they are my best friends, but they cannot be counted on even when I need them most.

Instead, I cry silently, letting go of the helm. Let the wind take us where it will.