Chapter 31 - Let Me Go

ROBIN

"You okay?"

Livi nods, staring at the red flag of the Encantador  which waves scarlet red, cutting through the night sky like an open wound.

Since it's dark and no one can see us in our black clothing, I hold her while we wait. I feel like crying. If I know Livia, this might be the last time I see her.

"I'm sorry," She whispers. "I know you're probably kind of pissed at me right now . . ."

I sigh into her hair, which is tucked into a black bandana we found at the bottom of an old rag trunk. "I couldn't be mad at you, mi amor." I trace my finger along her back, listening to the gentle lap of the water on the ship with mounting anxiety. We've done bigger heists, robbed bigger ships, but so much is at stake tonight.

"I bet you could," She says. I can hear the smirk in her voice. "I'm pretty obnoxious." 

"Would you listen to me for a second?"

She turns to face me with a sarcastically expectant look.

"I love you," I tell her, trailing my fingers down her neck. I lean down and place my lips on hers. She stands still in my arms, her eyes fluttering shut as I kiss her. "And I always will."

She sighs in return, pulling away. "If you love me, let me go." 

We stay silent few minutes, watching the other ship approach. I hold her to me like a lifeline, but she doesn't return my embrace. Tucking my head under hers, I press my lips to the hollow of her throat, my ear against her chest. I may lose her tonight, but for now, her heart beats on.

"They're close," She whispers, her lips warm against my ear. "We should go." 

I nod, reluctantly letting go of her. She hops off the quarterdeck with a ferocious growl.

"Okay," She hisses. The ship has been silent for a long time. Her voice cuts through the night air like sharp, flying daggers, sudden and deadly. "We're ready to be off."

Normally, this proclamation would have been met by a rousing cheer. That's how my crew is. Lighthearted, excited, ready for anything.

Tonight, though, we find ourselves surrounded by this heavy sense of dread that stops us from moving, from talking, from breathing. Livia glances from man to man, the urgency in her eyes glowing.

"Kill them," She growls, her bared teeth flashing in the darkness. "Kill as many of them as you can. I want them dead." She pauses, letting the ring of men around her gather more stray members. "Let's go."

This finally broke the encapsulating trance of silence. 

"FOR RAMSEY!" A voice exclaims.

"FOR RAMSEY!" The rest agree.