Chapter 3: Unfamiliar Surroundings

"What happened?" David asked himself as he got up from the floor and cleared the dust off his hands by rubbing them together. It was really a mess, that room; covered with dust and garbage. It was filled with dust piled up to at least some centimeters. It was really gross. David looked around in the room in the dim sunlight. Sun was setting and it was already winter, so David was lucky that there was even some light to look around it. David watched out for a bulb or any other source of light on the wall, but unfortunately, there wasn't any. The room was very much like his own room, but actually wasn't. It had a door right where David's room's door was. None of his stuff was there. It was really frightening and confounding. He wanted to contact someone but he didn't have his cell-phone with him anymore. The only thing which he had with him was the book. It was on the floor right beside where David had fallen.

 David tried to study the room. It wasn't empty. He could see a cupboard on the left of the spot from where he was standing and further to a window on the same direction, a large mirror (Almost one ft. larger in size than David) on the front where the dressing table was situated in his room, and a wooden bedstead along with some pieces of 2 or 3 broken wood placed unorderly on the right beside a door. All of the stuff was dusty. It was like no one had come in the room for ages. Spider-webs were everywhere. It was really scary.

 It was already getting dark and David had no idea whatsoever about what was going on. He ran to the window and tried to open it but it demanded force. Maybe it was hermetically sealed from its wooden framework. David stopped his effort to open it and had an attempt to look through it, but it was so very blurry that his sight couldn't escape the whitish layers stained on the glass. At last he decided to go out of the room.

 He opened the door and quietly moved his head out of it. It turned a lot creepier as he found out that to the left of the door, there was nothing but a wall, and to its right, it was nothing but a staircase which led the way downwards. There was no window outside the room and it was so dark that he couldn't see what was beneath the staircase. He took a pause, and sighed. He wanted to cry, but it had no use, so he went back inside the room and closed the door. He didn't want anyone to come inside and scare him, because it would have literally killed him.

 He closed his eyes for a moment and thought of something which could help him. The only thing which came to his mind was breaking the window. He gulped his spittle and went towards a wooden piece. It was covered with spider-webs which he had to break in order to pick it up. After holding a piece, which was so dirty that it made his hands almost grey with dust, he went towards the window.

 He took a deep sigh and prayed, 'God, whatever's going on, at least let me know!' After this, he mustered up strength and utilized almost all of it in a fierce strike on the window. It made a loud noise which caused chills throughout David's body. Listening to that sound after such a long period of silence, standing in an apparently abandoned room, at that time of the day, he had to shout. He shouted for a while but then stopped it. He knew he couldn't let anyone hear him. He could get killed.

 He dropped the wood and staggered towards the window, constantly swallowing his saliva and hoping that he was in a known place. To his misery, as he reached the window and looked through it, he saw nothing but trees. Large green trees, they were everywhere. No signs of a single house or even a hut. 'A forest?' He thought to himself. 'What the hell am I doing in the middle of a forest?'

 By that time, David had realized that he was ruined. But he decided not to lose hope as it would only kill him before he's actually dead. He decided to go down the staircase. He had no light with him, so he had better go quickly as it was getting dark. As he was about to move out of the room, his eyes fell upon the book. He got really angry at this sight. It was all because of this book that he was in such a huge mess.