1-First Sight

Copyright © 2012 Aliyah Robinson

All rights reserved.

I detested Crest High. It was a tall, dark building that relied mostly on its students' money for its upkeep. In the elite halls of Crest, being on scholarship was a joke. 

To others, I was a joke. I sighed as the bell rang, knowing I would have to face the same snobby faces from last year, except this time, the Barbies would have new noses and the Lacrosse team would have new smiles and bigger egos. 

A girl with long, blonde curls that bounced as she walked skipped to my side. Allison Bray was my best friend, maybe my only friend at Crest. She was small for her age-at least four eleven- and had thick, soft, white blonde curls that bounced every time she moved, and stopped midway down her back. Her child-like eyes were framed with thick, dark lashes without the help of mascara. In fact, she wore no makeup at all. She had small, pink, pouty lips and creamy skin that could be used on an after picture for a skin care product. 

Allison poked out her lower lip, which only made her look cuter. "It isn't fair."

"What isn't?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Senior privileges," she said, throwing up her hands as if suddenly exasperated. "Off campus pass, four classes, an hour break, and early release! That's not fair! We've worked our butts off for three years and they're letting them slack as if it meant nothing." 

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, Alli, you know you won't be saying that when it's our turn."

"I know, but it sucks having to wait." I laughed out loud, causing heads to turn. 

A group of good looking kids passed us on our way to class and Alli elbowed me hard in the ribs. "Ouch! I'd like to keep my kidney."

"No, no, forget your kidney," Alli rolled her eyes as if my kidney meant nothing to her. "Besides, your kidneys aren't even located there."

"Oh," was all I said. 

"No," Alli said, gripping my shoulders, which she had to stand on her toes to do, "look." She pointed to the passing crowd of students-three girls and two guys-and I watched as they continued to walk down the hall without seeing anyone. They looked through the other students as if they were glass, all walking in graceful unison. 

"It's like they're world is like water," Alli said quietly at my side. I turned and gave her a questioning look. Alli rolled her eyes. "It's as if they lived in water all their life; the way they look at other people, they way they walk. They glide, Penny, glide!" 

"I know, I saw, Allison."

She jumped up and down and clapped her hands. I couldn't help but smile; she was just that cute. 

"What if one of them is single?" she squealed. She gasped, "or better! One of them is single and likes little, short blondes."

"Then Elle Louis has a chance at snagging him." I turned away from the retreating backs of the handsome students and began to walk towards class.